The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #1
LS short box

So where were you on 911?

I was at a trade show in Vegas.
No one was much interested in packaging machines after the planes hit.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: So where were you on 911?

Gettin' ready to go to work. Could not believe what I was seeing. I remember initial reports that a small plane had hit one of the towers. Then the awful truth slowly rolled out.
I went to work stunned at what was happening, that we were under attack and would likely be drawn into war soon.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM   #3
farmall

I was driving to work in my 69 International .75 ton 4X4 with an AM radio tuned to a classic country station out of Prineville with no DJ.
I got to work and they had a TV on a roll around cart set up watching the aftermath.
The GM was a dickcabeza and told everyone to get to work.
89 GMC Jimmy Stock https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810958
71 LT1 Convertible, 72 Coupe
69 CJ5, 75 CJ6, 67 M715, 72 M35A2 Bobbed, 95 XLC2
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #4
Ironhorse

I was at work and had just walked into the break room for a cup of coffee as everyone was talking about "an airplane just flew into one of the towers at the Trade Center". Within the next few minutes we watched as the second airplane made a sweeping turn and struck the second tower. We had all witnessed our own "Pearl Harbor" moment of our lifetime.

Steeveedee, totally understand about the "war effort help" statement. I was working Flight Line Transportation for Boeing Aircraft Co. at the time on the flight line and we were in the midst of doing maintenance work of the Presidential 747, Air Force One. It was not due back to Andrews AFB for another 6 weeks of normal maintenance time. It was immediately decided that if no safety of flight items needed attention a return to Andrews AFB was ordered and it left within 36 hours back to Andrews. First time I ever moved AF-1 under armed Air Force Security with locked and loaded M-16s along with armed Boeing Security. Some tense times with the unknown factor looming large.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks

Last edited by Ironhorse; Yesterday at 09:34 PM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I was driving the carpool south to my defense job. I worked in missile defense systems at the time. Pretty sure you would know the attitude we had a work, but we workers couldn't launch those missiles. It was a dirty underhanded deed, and...well, I'll leave it at that, Dale's corner is beckoning. I can say that some of what I worked on helped with the war effort.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM   #6
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

I was on a 6 am Flight out of Oakland Ca to Wyoming. We had just leveled off when the Pilot came on and told us what was happening. His next words were “Were going down NOW”. We landed in Vegas and were ushered off the plane. The Crew was gone as they pushed the plane back from the Tarmac. I looked around and saw the Giant Screen TV just as the 2nd Plane hit. People were panicking and some Crying. I called my Wife to let her know I was OK and would try and come home. I had all my Equipment with me and was able to get that as they unloaded the plane. I went to see about a rental car because they said Planes were restricted. I asked the lady at the counter about what should we do, Her answer was “ I don’t know Sir, We’ve never been at War Before”. I lucked out and got a rental car, A Jeep Wagoner I didn’t want to drive back to the Bay Area alone so I raised my hand and loudly said “ I have a car and I’m going to Oakland and have room for 3. Two Ladies grabbed my arm along with another Guy standing next to me. So myself and 3 Strangers drove back to the Bay Area. I dropped the Ladies off in Pleasanton and the Guy in Livermore then drove home. I couldn’t get my car because they wouldn’t let anyone near the Airport. Hertz was Cool and said to keep the car until I can get into the airport to return it, think it was ~4 days AND they didn’t charge me
9/11. A Day I will Never Forget
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca

Last edited by 1970 CST Short Wide; Today at 12:52 AM.
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

I was busy going in and out of the office checking loads off and getting our semi trucks headed down the highway. I kept a radio on in the office daily so that's where I caught the news of the 1st plane attack. When the 2nd plane hit the towers I knew it was no accident. I gathered the crew around to fill them in on what had happened. At that point we didn't know what might happen next so I made sure every employee knew what was going on. As I moved about town I noticed it was much like a Sunday morning, quiet and all. Eerie it was.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote