The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2024, 10:52 AM   #1
Willshook

Re: Opinions on daily driver 350 Engine Build

Since the engine is strong, a head/cam change seems like a good choice.

Don't buy your heads until you have the old ones off and can measure the quench and do a good estimate on the CR...sometimes there are surprises, and you want to see if you can get the quench in the .040 ballpark. 175cc runners are a great choice for a street head...but I don't see the value here in aluminum heads for this mild of a build, especially with a very small cam. I would buy less head...or more cam.

I'd personally recommend a Holley over an Edelbrock every time. The Holley Street Avenger is a great choice - the 670 is a little big, but probably the right choice. Performer is a great intake choice.

Cam choice seems reasonable - I would say that it's pretty mild especially for those heads; I'd definitely at least go with 1.6 rockers (CompCams roller tip at most) But again...seems pretty small for those heads. For what you want to do maybe that cam plus some upgraded Vortecs - probably a better deal overall.

REMEMBER to check all your valvetrain geometry carefully. The biggest screw-ups on these head swaps is getting the quench/CR wrong, and/or failing to check the geometry and ending up bending pushrods or breaking springs.
Willshook is offline   Reply With Quote