The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2024, 08:28 PM   #1
Sheepdip

Could This Be The New Norm?

Interstate 80 going over the Sierras from Sacramento to Reno has been shutdown since about 5am this morning because of a Tesla Semi Truck fire that evidently has mushroomed into a hazardous waste crisis and isn't expected to open until 8 am tomorrow morning.
Just wondering what our future holds for highway shut downs like this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/el...ia/ar-AA1p3AyB
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2024, 09:03 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Could This Be The New Norm?

That's crazy. I wonder where the helicopter footage is.
Old Yesterday, 01:52 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Wow, they simply couldn't put the fire out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3mITL6kzkY
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM   #4
Boog
laying low

Someone in a fire department a while back posted up some info regarding the fire fighting difference between a fuel powered car and an ev. As I remember it takes several thousand gallons more water and man hours to put the ev fire out. I would imagine those e semi trucks would be even more so. Tow companies are advised to store them well away from other vehicles or structures as well.
You know as much of a pia as evs can be, they will only get better with continued "real world" service to help work out the bugs.
In my mind, they aren't fully practical just yet. I certainly would not park one in my garage or near my house or business yet.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM   #5
Rickysnickers

Interesting read...https://www.alsym.com/blog/expert-re...vehicle-fires/
Rickysnickers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #6
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Wow, they simply couldn't put the fire out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3mITL6kzkY

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
That's crazy. I wonder where the helicopter footage is.

Go to the 4 minute mark in the video posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402. It's not spectacular but does show the FD putting water on the fire and how they're shipping the water in.

This is a big problem with all the ev (non-tractor-rig) cars/trucks already...adding these big rigs to the mix will exacerbate the issues. One of these fires can destroy a flat bed tow bed if it burns while loaded. They can destroy adjacent property when they burn too. I don't think an easy/practical solution will be found. Currently those dealing with this stuff are using thermal blankets to mitigate the damage caused by very long and hot burning battery cells...a bandaid at best.

-Kevin
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #7
truckster

I saw that clip, but it was kind of lame. The thing seemed to be mostly over by the time the helicopter got there. I was looking for some great big Tesla flames.
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #8
62c30

Just wait until the electric airplanes hit the sky. I've already seen a video of one catching on fire just sitting out front of a hanger.
62c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:33 AM   #9
CAMAROBOY68SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Someone in a fire department a while back posted up some info regarding the fire fighting difference between a fuel powered car and an ev. As I remember it takes several thousand gallons more water and man hours to put the ev fire out. I would imagine those e semi trucks would be even more so. Tow companies are advised to store them well away from other vehicles or structures as well.
You know as much of a pia as evs can be, they will only get better with continued "real world" service to help work out the bugs.
In my mind, they aren't fully practical just yet. I certainly would not park one in my garage or near my house or business yet.
Yeah this is the case, mainly due to the lithium in the battery cells. Lithium can self combust in what is called "thermal runaway" basically the lithium starts reacting, which causes massive amounts of heat due to this reaction to a point it will ignite itself. Basically when fire fighting it all the water is doing is trying to cool down the cells stop the thermal runaway. Even if you get the fire out cells that were not destroyed initially could reignite later on while the hulk is sitting in a yard. I had read somewhere that in Germany yards were having to dunk the shells in like shipping containers with the tops cut off full of water for weeks to try and make the hulk safe from going off again.

A battery can experience this at anytime really, if any part of the cooling system fails, it can trigger the cells. If the battery pack leaks in oxygen it can also start the runaway process. Lithium itself will react to moisture and atmosphere which can trigger the runaway. Think of you old chem class with sodium and water. Similar thing but more reactive. So if a battery pack is cracked or not fully sealed it could and probably will go off. I think that is part of the reason most EVs now are written off on a simple fender bender because no one wants to touch it due to it be a fire waiting to happen at any moment.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:19 AM   #10
Dead Parrot

As mentioned, the cells don't need outside air to combust. Further complicated by the fact that most battery packs are well constructed to keep outside stuff out(the fire fighting water) and the battery stuff inside. Kind of like trying to put out a fire in a locked gun safe by spraying water on the outside. Most of the water is wasted. Plus the by products of a battery fire are often hazardous and need further special treatment. Not just EVs. Several times a year you will hear about someone's laptop, game device, phone, etc spewing smoke on an airplane with the resulting concern. If they are still on the tarmac, the corrective is often tossing the bag out the door.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote