The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 12:25 AM   #1
NDM

Re: Bucketlist Blazer -Restomod build 6.6liter L8T

Following up on my last post a few min ago, I started thinking that my logic may not be far off for a few reasons.

The factory GM crate L8T motor (called L8P) comes with a slightly smaller cam at 218/231 vs the BTR 220/232 cam. The L8P is rated at 523 hp and 546 tq but it is rated at 91 octane fuel. Since E85 is said to offer around 15% more power that puts the smaller L8P cam at around 602hp estimated with e85 fuel. This is not very far off of BTR's numbers with the factory intake.

This is how my logic is working in this case. Eventually I will find out the truth but for now, I am intrigued by the idea that my 72 Blazer with a simple cam and valve spring swap may offer better power to weight numbers than a Jeep trackhawk. For those that like math this is that calculation.

Trackhawk is about 5356 pounds with 707 crank horsepower. The Blazer is only about 4200 pounds and will have about 581 hp (going port injection loses about 9% vs direct injection). Theoretically, a 4200 pound blazer (given the same suspension, drivetrain and electronic wizardry as a trackhawk ) would only have to have 541hp to be as fast as a trackhawk.

A different way to look at it would be that a 581hp blazer at 4200 pounds would be the equivalent of a 740hp trackhawk given the previously mentioned weight and apples to apples comparrison specs.

I am not about to sit here and claim that my 72 K5 Blazer in 4wd high with approx 581 crank hp is going to outrun a trackhawk.......but.........come next summer if I can swing getting the dream of a supercharger accomplished, I sure do think that I could give it a good shot!�� Prochargers kit is supposed to add 150 hp. I think that 731 total hp may in fact do the trick! Power to weight ratio calculation indicates that a 4200 pound K5 with 731 hp would be like having a 932 hp trackhawk.

I have seen a Silverado make 169hp additional with just adding a whipple and 8.95 pounds of boost. That aint much boost.

Either way, I am done dreaming and calculating for the night. Sweet dreams!
NDM is offline   Reply With Quote