The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 09:20 PM   #1
WorkinLonghorn

Clutch replacement on street?

I need to put a different clutch in my '69. I called around my area (L.A.) and one old timer told me that if I brought in the parts, he'd install them for $800 (!!!). I know overhead has gone crazy around here lately but I remember in the '80s I just crawled under my '63 (with a 230 ci. 6 and 3 on the column) slid the trans. back a little and slipped a new disk in there in about 45 minutes.
How difficult would it be to swap out the clutch on an iron case 4 spd. Is this something that an old geezer can do on the street with a floor jack? Or would I need to fab a trans. holder for the jack and even then is it practical... -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:34 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Clutch replacement on street?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
I need to put a different clutch in my '69. I called around my area (L.A.) and one old timer told me that if I brought in the parts, he'd install them for $800 (!!!). I know overhead has gone crazy around here lately but I remember in the '80s I just crawled under my '63 (with a 230 ci. 6 and 3 on the column) slid the trans. back a little and slipped a new disk in there in about 45 minutes.
How difficult would it be to swap out the clutch on an iron case 4 spd. Is this something that an old geezer can do on the street with a floor jack? Or would I need to fab a trans. holder for the jack and even then is it practical... -BA

You could probably do it if you had a REAL transmission jack. That thing probably weighs 3 times what a 3 speed does. They are also really awkward because they are so tall and top heavy. I wouldn't try it by yourself.....

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:46 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

There is a lot of difference in replacing the clutch in the column 3 speed & the 4 speed trans. You will need to remove the cover on the floor. You will need a way to support the trans. That dude is heavy & awkward. If you can stick a crane through the door it works better.
I used to have a shop. I sure would not like to try doing in in the street. I'm a real old geezer now but I would not want to do it even if I were young again.
Putting a clutch in one of those old 3 speed was gravy. Like you said, a guy could do it in an hour.

George

Last edited by Wrenchbender Ret; Today at 09:52 PM.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:51 PM   #4
geezer#99

Back 50 years ago we always carried a spare Saginaw 3 speed just in case we fragged one on late night excursions. Could swap one out in 45 minutes in a handy spot off the road. Mind you they only weighed 75 lbs. now then a cast iron 4 speed likely weighs close to double that. You’ll need a holder to mount on your jack. You could make some long dowels for the top bolt holes and just slide the trans back supported by the trans. Then wrestle the disc outta there.
800 seems awful high. Shouldn’t take more than a couple hours in an equipped shop.
If you have the room and the tools, go for it.
Nothing like the satisfaction of doing a job yourself.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:59 PM   #5
Mike C

I did the clutch in my ‘86 K30 454/4 speed about 5 years ago. On an unlevel concrete pad outside our barn. Got it out in about 4 hours. I did have the big Harbor Freight trans jack. I lowered it down and rolled it back out of the way leaving it on the jack. The next day I put it back together. That also took about 4 hours. And it started raining, and then snowing with temps hovering about 32F. And it rained on me between the cab and the flatbed! But $800 saved. I had already bought the trans jack to drop the Allison out of my Duramax truck… But it was no 45 minute job. And if it had been a crew cab truck I wouldn’t have been tall enough to put my feet on the Dana 70 and push the trans all the way in!
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote