The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Rear axle offset question

I was looking at the axle on my old 71 big block 157 in wheel base DRW C30 comparing it to a standard 3/4 ton axle. What is the reason the one ton center section isnt centered on axle meaning one axle side is longer than the other. Looking at the 3/4 ton the center section is centered on the assembly like all 3/4 and half ton Chevy trucks I have looked at.
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Rear axle offset question

The driveshaft and pinion gear of most differentials are centered.. This puts the ring gear offset to one side, making one axle longer than the other.. I can't see your C/10 from here but I can see my '71.. It's not centered...
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I just assumed on the 3/4 ton the axles were the same on each side. I’ve never taken a rear end apart, beyond my capability. After reading your post I sort of understand a bit better. Still unsure why the one ton is so much different.

Couple pics, one ton axel is nice and clean, 3/4 ton is “weedy”
Attached Images

Last edited by CG; Yesterday at 03:14 PM. Reason: Still trying to figure it out in my pea brain
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM   #4
57taskforce
All about them K’s

The HO52/72 from your 1 ton are off set like that. The dana 60 in your 3/4 ton is centered. Just a difference in axle designs. Also noteworthy here in my observation, most 3/4 ton Chevy’s got the Ho52, and GMC’s seem to have gotten more of the dana 60’s but this isn’t cut and dry.
‘69 K10 SWB: 4” lift 33”s… in a million pieces http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 35x12.5x20’s

Last edited by 57taskforce; Yesterday at 10:57 PM.
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:29 AM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Any idea on why it was designed with the offset?

I believe the 3/4 ton started life as a 72 Cheyenne Super that I sold the guy that owns it now. He parted it and this is all that’s left
Old Today, 09:55 AM   #6
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Any idea on why it was designed with the offset?

I believe the 3/4 ton started life as a 72 Cheyenne Super that I sold the guy that owns it now. He parted it and this is all that’s left
There are 2 different types of drive shaft angles.
It helps with u-joint rotation and vibration.
Too much or too little angle cause accelerated wear.

U-Joint Operating Angles:

{The u-joint operating angle is the angle formed by two yokes connected by a cross and bearing kit. There are two kinds of u-joint angles.

The simple one plane angle found in most installations has all driveline slope confined to one plane, usually the vertical plane. The other type of driveline angle is compound angle in two planes. This is found in driveline designs where offset exists in both the vertical and horizontal planes.}

1 plane set-up

Name:  plane1.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  14.1 KB

2 plane set-up

Name:  plane2.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  17.1 KB
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:49 AM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Interesting stuff. So maybe because the C30 has the 157in wheel base it required a different drive shaft set up than the shorter wheel base trucks.
Old Today, 01:20 PM   #8
57taskforce
All about them K’s

I don’t think it being a long wheel base 1 ton is the whole deal, like I said, a lot of the 3/4 ton trucks came with the HO52 which is basically the same setup as the HO72 from your 1 ton. Part of the reason that the yoke and center housing is offset is because of the design of the removable 3rd member from that design of axle. In order for the third member to be removed the ring gear has to be able to clear the housing when coming out. The axles without a removable third member don’t have to deal with this so the pinion can be placed more centered in the housing if that makes sense. 14 bolt FF axles for instance (and likely the dana 60) just like your HO72 actually have a left and right axle shaft because of this, the driver side axle is shorter than the passenger, with the pinion being more centered it moves the ring gear and carrier further to the drivers side of the truck. The gear housing where the third member bolts up on the HO52/72 is more noticeable with this in my opinion with the big ole round center section on display. Heres a picture of a 14 bolt with the cover off and pinion yoke visible to illustrate this, which will be basically the same as the Dana 60 you posted above.

Hopefully that kind of makes sense. The HO52/72/110 can trace there roots back to the late 30’s/early 40’s, a lot of what you see in the later axles are just refinements and changes over time. I like removable 3rd member axles my self. They are pretty convenient for gear swaps and rebuilds. And they are tough as nails.
Attached Images

‘69 K10 SWB: 4” lift 33”s… in a million pieces http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 35x12.5x20’s

Last edited by 57taskforce; Today at 01:54 PM. Reason: Tried to increase clarity
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:22 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ok thanks, more great information. Im just not that versed on this kind of stuff so I appreciate your input and the others.