The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #1
cshanek

Oil Canister Filter -> Screw-On Filter Adaptor Questions

Hey fellow C10/C20 gearheads,

A buddy and I recently rebuilt my 1964 C20 283, and I just recently reached 750 miles using our break-in oil, and figured I would install an oil filter canister to screw-on oil filter adaptor while I was at it, since my canister filter setup is leaking. I was hoping the screw-on adaptor would make changes more convenient, and I was hoping to reduce or eliminate oil leaks. I ended up purchasing this adaptor (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and did some reading (though clearly not enough), and bought this screw on filter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1). As I am sure some of you have already assumed, that combination was not ideal. I ended up spewing out my 5 quarts of synthetic oil rather quickly. Now on to the questions.
  1. What filter should I use for the adaptor I purchased? This answer might depend on the next question.
  2. The screw-on adaptor I purchased does not contain a bypass filter and I initially bolted it flush without the bypass filter. Should I bolt it on the bypass filter or buy a screw-on filter with the bypass filter included?
  3. Does the bypass filter allow oil to bypass the larger filter if oil pressure drops?
  4. I read that the little bypass reservoir needs to be installed facing the oil pan side, not the exhaust exhaust. Why is this?
cshanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #2
cshanek

Re: Oil Canister Filter -> Screw-On Filter Adaptor Questions

How can I go about moving this to the 60-66 message board?
cshanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #3
dmjlambert

I have asked for move from one forum to another by clicking the report post button that looks like a triangle with ! in it, and asked could you please move it.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanek View Post
How can I go about moving this to the 60-66 message board?
Alternatively, you could ask to move the query to the Engine and Drivetrain forum, where more engine-savvy people might see it.
My '68 292 was set up for the spin-on filters. PF-35 initially, now Wix 51060.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM   #5
AcampoDave

The product in your link is a bypass which is different from an adapter. I use this one on my 283 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...BoCWMoQAvD_BwE I think your link is strictly a bypass for engines already made for a spin on filter. I've also had this one already installed on a 283 I've owned before https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...RoCGGsQAvD_BwE If I recall correctly, the second one (Mr. Gasket) uses a mechanical bypass underneath (like in your link) which is not included and the Transdapt uses a Ford filter with the bypass built into it.

Last edited by AcampoDave; Yesterday at 11:39 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM   #6
AcampoDave

BTW, the flimsy nut on the transdapt only serves to keep it from falling down when you remove the filter. It's the compression you create by tightening the filter down on the nipple that compresses the O-ring between the block and the aluminium disc. Many people in the reviews falsly assumed they needed a beefier nut to avoid leaks when they really just needed to crank the filter down pretty tight.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote