The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #26
Rickysnickers

Re: I am wanting opinions about buying a Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
Blueprint will not sub out any part on their builds. I tried to get them to swap a water pump on a SBF application ordered directly through them. No luck, was a mute point as the car had the wrong stuff anyways and the engine came with what was needed to make it right.
Oh, ok thank you for this. I didn't know that, but suspected that was the case.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM   #27
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

You know what.. I read on here that some of you have 350 engines that run at 80 lbs preasure and it is seems ok for the motor to do that .. I could with (( help)) change out the spring to a different one and get a lower PSI ,, as for changing out the motor ,,I would need lots of help and after reading and looking at summit and others , ,the motor would run me 5 plus thousand dollars plus Tax which is 6% guessing the cost would be over 7 k

I think i need to fix what I have as I did not know the cost of new , thanks again for the help ,,I am backing off a new motor as my truck is not worth it and my age tells me to not do so.. hope you understand my thoughts on this and did not want you all to think I was dead set on a new motor..
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM   #28
truckster

I re-read through the posts. It seems your concerns are metal flakes in the oil filter and high oil pressure. I would recommend taking an oil sample to a heavy equipment dealer near you (call first). Most can do an oil analysis and give you a good idea of the condition of your engine.

Secondly, how confident are you that your oil pressure gauge is accurate? I would use an oil pressure test kit to verify your pressure before you make any changes. They're cheap on Amazon, or you might be able to get a loaner at an auto parts store.

If the oil analysis is good and the pressure really is high, you can just replace the oil pump with a standard displacement unit. I like Melling, but there are other good ones, too.
Old Today, 05:40 AM   #29
LT7A

Whatever you decide to do, I'm just glad to hear you're keeping the good ol' SquareBody going!
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:20 AM   #30
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I re-read through the posts. It seems your concerns are metal flakes in the oil filter and high oil pressure. I would recommend taking an oil sample to a heavy equipment dealer near you (call first). Most can do an oil analysis and give you a good idea of the condition of your engine.

Secondly, how confident are you that your oil pressure gauge is accurate? I would use an oil pressure test kit to verify your pressure before you make any changes. They're cheap on Amazon, or you might be able to get a loaner at an auto parts store.

If the oil analysis is good and the pressure really is high, you can just replace the oil pump with a standard displacement unit. I like Melling, but there are other good ones, too.
This is very good advice. Any equipment dealer should have oil analysis kits, typically runs about $30 for the kit and test. Deere, Cat, Kubota, etc all should be able to help out, heavy duty truck shops should also have the kits, I think you can even get them on Amazon. An oil pressure/Auto trans pressure test kit should be readily available through the loaner tools at your local chain store, if not, again they are cheap or another mechanical gauge to verify. Years ago we had a 2000's G van that would literally blow the oil filter off as soon as it fired up. Dropped the pan, pulled the oil pump and sure enough the relief valve was stuck. Swapped a new pump in and problem solved.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:13 AM   #31
Rickysnickers

Larry, I got your PM. I can probably help you. Before committing to changing out anything, do as the others have suggested and have the oil analyzed. I'd as change the oil in the engine, again if you already have done it, and cut the oil filter apart. Look through the pleats in the filter and see if it has any metal shards or flakes in it.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:40 AM   #32
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Larry, I got your PM. I can probably help you. Before committing to changing out anything, do as the others have suggested and have the oil analyzed. I'd as change the oil in the engine, again if you already have done it, and cut the oil filter apart. Look through the pleats in the filter and see if it has any metal shards or flakes in it.
Thx Rick , When I had the lash set on my rockers / cam there was a few little pieces of shiny metal flakes around the rockers,, figured it could of been from an over haul the engine had ,so I changed the oil cut in to the filter and found very few metal flakes.. did not see any in the oil ..I have run some 3 thousand miles on it since buying it ,, the owner of the truck before me had the truck over hauled some 25 thousand miles ago .. ..I called the place in Portland Oregon and the owner of the place verified the over haul ,Yes ,,I am going to look for a place here that does the oil check ( you know of any to recomemd ?)and then go from there to checking the guage to the pump .. I guess in that order.