The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 12:56 PM   #1
samert111

Re: Disk brake conversion

I just did this conversion to my 68 C10. I ordered this SSBC kit from Summit.
This kit is based on 88-98 GM 1500 truck parts. The pads and calipers are stock items but
unfortunately, the rotor ID's are special machined by the supplier due to the larger hub mounting diameter on our trucks.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/TSB-A126-8

It's the non-power brake kit because it was plug and play with my current brake booster. I eliminated the OEM fluid dist block and plumbed the rear brake adjustable valve directly to the rear brake line coming off the original dist block. The downside to doing this is there is no place for the brake lite switch wire.

All I had to do was fab up the 2 lines from the MC to the original front and rear brake lines.

The only issue I ran into was that there is a 3/16" spacer provided that goes on the spindle first to shim out the rotor to clear the caliper mounting bracket bolt from rubbing on the rotor inner face. So when I installed the inner bearing seals in the rotors I had to leave them setting out of the hub more to compensate for the spacer so the seal will ride on the hub bearing seal surface.

Also, The brake lines are a bit too long and can rub on the tire or wheel but all I had to do was rotate the brake line end in the holding bracket until the lines didn't rub with wheels turned to lock.

The only thing I didn't like was the brake backing plates are not included in the kit. I tried to find something that would work but only found someone here on the forum modified a set of 67-70 Chevelle backing plates to work.
See attached photo.
Attached Images

Last edited by samert111; Today at 01:15 PM.
samert111 is offline   Reply With Quote