The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM   #1
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

old parts question

ok guys I am wondering what do most of us do with old parts that are still in descent working condition but not needed anymore? I know we try to sell them, but I have found that most don't want to pay anything & the time and effort to package and ship tends to make it a zero or neg. cost. a example is I have fuel tanks from a recent build, but nobody wants them... soo what do you do with them? my thought is that if someone is just getting an old truck to run and "tootle" in then used parts would be great. still work, but save cost on new. anyways just wondering what to do with "working" left over parts?

thoughts?
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: old parts question

I have a one-acre property. I am the one extant Redneck of my steadily-upscaling area. I have two and half non-running Chevy trucks. [Well, the half is a trailer made out of a Longbed Fleetside on a 3/4 ton frame.
In essence, I keep a lot of stuff. There's a tin shed with a whole Dog House for a '72. Springs in the weeds. A couple of 20 gallon in-cab tanks lying around. Stacks of old tires. I try never to throw a part away. [Unless reusing it is dangerous.]
I bet looky-lou real-estate ladies shudder when cruising by. I don't care. My Dad was selling these properties for the Estes Corp. over 50 years ago, and he got us a good one. He was instrumental in making sure there was no Home Owners' Association established.
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; Yesterday at 08:21 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #3
WorldsCrappiestTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
I have a one-acre property. I am the one extant Redneck of my steadily-upscaling area. I have two and half non-running Chevy trucks. [Well, the half is a trailer made out of a Longbed Fleetside on a 3/4 ton frame.
In essence, I keep a lot of stuff. There's a tin shed with a whole Dog House for a '72. Springs in the weeds. A couple of 20 gallon in-cab tanks lying around. Stacks of old tires. I try never to throw a part away. [Unless reusing it is dangerous.]
I bet looky-lou real-estate ladies shudder when cruising by. I don't care. My Dad was selling these properties for the Estes Corp. over 50 years ago, and he got us a good one. He was instrumental in making sure there was no Home Owners' Association established.
^^^^ my people ✅ Hold strong.

I keep stuff forever in totes until it’s clear that I’ll NEVER use it again, like old Classic Saab 900 parts. Those cars just aren’t around anymore, especially in New England.
WorldsCrappiestTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #4
dmjlambert

Keep the old parts that are still in descent working condition for when the new chinesium alloy parts disintegrate, then put them back on your truck! Just kidding (sort of). I recommend get a premium account here and list the parts for sale and have patience. I've sold stuff like a used radiator, drum brake parts, lug nuts, and other assorted things, and I've also bought used parts here and reused and restored them with great success. There are plenty of folks who need the parts. Next, I am in need stock height spindles and front brakes and 12 bolt open differential from 71-72, and 15x7 rally wheels. I need that stuff for my 63. I may buy that stuff from somebody here like I did last time I needed those parts.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #5
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
ok guys I am wondering what do most of us do with old parts that are still in descent working condition but not needed anymore? I know we try to sell them, but I have found that most don't want to pay anything & the time and effort to package and ship tends to make it a zero or neg. cost. a example is I have fuel tanks from a recent build, but nobody wants them... soo what do you do with them? my thought is that if someone is just getting an old truck to run and "tootle" in then used parts would be great. still work, but save cost on new. anyways just wondering what to do with "working" left over parts?

thoughts?
Hold on to all these Original parts you can.

Do you have any Swap meets in your Area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post

Why are we not Friends.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM   #6
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Wink Re: old parts question

i've got "stuff" everywhere-a shipping container full, a garage you can hardly walk into, my shop is full and other parts outside since there's no room anywhere else. and don't forget about the new parts in my house. people say i'm a hoarder but i say i'm a collector of classic truck parts. if i ever figure out how to post pictures on here then maybe i'll post some goodies to sell.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #7
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry moss View Post
i've got "stuff" everywhere-a shipping container full, a garage you can hardly walk into, my shop is full and other parts outside since there's no room anywhere else. and don't forget about the new parts in my house. people say i'm a hoarder but i say i'm a collector of classic truck parts. if i ever figure out how to post pictures on here then maybe i'll post some goodies to sell.
And That's why we are Friends.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM   #8
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: old parts question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
And That's why we are Friends.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #9
Sheepdip

I have in the past given them away locally if possible, I have also offered them up to ship for the price of the ride. It takes a little time, labor and effort for free on my part but at least it's not going in the garbage can or recycler.

Somewhere out there someone is looking for that part.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM   #10
jocko

a local fb marketplace ad with the word "free" in it, will get them to a new home quickly with no shipping required. i'm not a fb fan in general, the only reason I have an account is to find stuff like your free parts But, i have to admit, it has come in handy - especially for the heavy stuff nobody wants to ever ship (and I don't blame them) like wheels (nabbed a nice set of 4 8 lug steelies for a decent price from one guy, got the spare from another. The best find ever was a date-and-suffix code correct running 72 350 for my K20 for a couple hundred bucks, complete carb to pan and the guy delivered it to my house. It's usually pretty easy to give stuff away locally, or even make a few bucks. You know what they say, one man's junk is another's gold.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:20 AM   #11
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
Hold on to all these Original parts you can.

Do you have any Swap meets in your Area?

Why are we not Friends.
Who said We Ain't?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote