The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 09:10 AM   #1
popeyestruck

Gas pedal assembly

I'm starting a new thread on my gas pedal and linkage problems. Everything works good until I add the rod that connects the pedal to bellcrank. I'm getting binding and the heal of the pedal moves forward as you press down. The geometry is off. This is the rod that came with it . It was bent into almost an s shape to get it to work and the peday had broke of the floorboard . Ive straighten it some and threaded the end to adjust for the extra travel straightening gives it. What should the rod look like? Should it be straight so the bellcrank get pushed back horizontally. I'm thinking I'll heat it up and take out the bends until it looks like the manual then Ill need to thread more of it since it get longer as it get straighter. Any ideas? At this point I'm almost ready to buy a cable driven pedal and be done with it. Last question is any recommendations for a cable pedal assembly cheap and looks like its supposed to be on an old truck? 72-87 assembly maybe ? Will this bolt up no issues? I really want to use the original but everything has be modified over the years to the point its just a headache. Thanks to those who got me this far.
Attached Images

popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:04 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: Gas pedal assembly

thats a tough one to figure out. are your linkage parts all from your engine or is it possibly a mix and match setup from different vehicles? curious because if the belcrank is stock, the rod to the carb is stock and the rod to the pedal is stock then it should all fall into place if assembled correctly. without the rod to the pedal, does the system operate correctly by hand, to give idle and full throttle? is the belcrank assembled the right way around? can you post a pic of it?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:05 PM   #3
dsraven

has the rod been added to possibly? possibly someone before you welded an extension to the rod and did a very good job so it looks like it was made that way?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:27 PM   #4
popeyestruck

I had to replace the rod from the bellcrank to carb because the one it came with was too short. If you look at my other post you can see how bad this one was bent. When i operated it the rod would hit the manifold . . Everything works great until I hook up the pedal then it hits on the hole thru the firewall because its too much angle when the pedal is bolted down. I dont think its been add to. Ive threaded the last 3 inches trying to make it adjustable and havent run into any welds. I'm going to try bending is so it moves more in a straight line
Old Today, 03:32 PM   #5
popeyestruck

Heres a photo of how the end was bent at first
Attached Images