The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2024, 01:44 PM   #35
LT7A

Re: Project Noah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auston View Post
I’ve used moog stuff before and had no issues. I guess it’s all personal preference.
Moog has always been my go-to. However, I understand that Moog has been bought (sold) and that they have two lines and one of them is offshore and low quality.

On the paint process, there are many different ways. hewittca has definitely achieved good results.

Since the paint on your truck is more or less complete, I personally like to preserve as much paint as I can. So I do everything by hand. I'd start with a good wash of course. And then use an iron removal solution. The CLR does that, but I would use one designed for automotive finishes. I use Adam's. Next I would clay bar it to get out other contaminants. Then Meguiar's has something called number seven which you rub in with a cloth and it actually helps rehydrate the paint. From there I would do oxidation removal with a light compound, again I use Meguiar's. At this stage if a lighter compound doesn't do the trick, then you can always step up to something more aggressive, medium, etc. But in my thinking, the more paint you can leave on, the better. You can follow the compound with whatever polish, paint sealant, ceramic treatment that you favor. Obviously there's about 9,000 ways to skin this cat, but doing it panel by panel by hand, you can see as the paint gets clearer and brighter with each step. That way you know you've left as much paint on as you can and it can tailor your approach to get the outcome that you want.

Sorry about the book, but I do watch quite a few detailing videos on youtube, and they are almost always geared for that ultimate result, rather than leaving as much paint as possible. It's great for the customer reaction, but after too many cut and buffs by machine, they will be polishing primer, haha.
LT7A is online now   Reply With Quote