The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 11:16 AM   #1
Brownsquare

Re: Painting my chassis.

Thank you guys! Some of you commented about a spray gun finish. I wish I had the ability to do this! Unfortunately things have conspired against me. The full story: The frame is stripped bare right now and is ready to go for sandblasting. 90% of the front and rear suspensions have already been blasted and prepped. Where I work, the business owner very kindly allows and even encourages employees to bring their own projects in on weekends so they have a nice place to work on them, including our paint booth. The problem is, the service manager (who presides over our painter) is a controlling and manipulative sort, who told our painter if he has time to bring his own stuff in on weekends, he should be punching in and doing work for the company. So...we had to time it carefully and do the job in the fall when there is very little work.

On top of that, I had to somehow line up roughly a week of perfect no rain, low humidity days (which in Michigan is nearly impossible to achieve!) so I could open haul the frame to be blasted, open haul it to take it from the blaster to home to prep, open haul it to work to be painted on the weekend, and then open haul it home the following Monday after the paint cures. I had a couple REALLY nice weeks over the summer that would have been perfect for the occasion, but were fouled by other obligations. We were all set to go a couple weeks ago and the service manager put a stop to it again. At this point I'm not going to do anything that would create bad relations at work, I'm not wealthy enough to pay a body shop to spray everything, and I'm not even close to being set up to spray at home. So...sadly spray cans are my only option.

Overall it sounds like the Eastwood stuff might be a good option, and I plan to do a really extensive prep to hopefully avoid paint adhesion issues. I've lined up a couple days off next week to get everything done, so we'll see how it goes! Again, huge thanks for the advice guys, I love this site!

Last edited by Brownsquare; Today at 11:38 AM.
Brownsquare is offline   Reply With Quote