The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 11:24 AM   #1
Kalums

Question Another radiator thread

Simple as the title says... I need a radiator, the one I have, after pressurizing it, has pin holes from top to bottom and I only got 12lbs of pressure in it before they all showed up(did I mention it is aluminium garbage cheapy). Also it is only a 2 vane?? Not sure whose idea that was... I'd appreciate any help finding a 4 vane (row) with trans cooler, and A/C hook ups (do they even make them or is it a unicorn of rads?),as I'm planning on having A/C in it by next summer. As a bonus I'd love to add electric fan(s) & shroud... The Google overlords inform me that none of these things exist... ( I swear the internet hates me)

I apologize ahead of time for the punctuation errors... I've been up most of the night :/
Kalums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:48 PM   #2
72SB

Re: Another radiator thread

actually 2 larger core, 1 1/4"-1 1/2", cools better than 4 smaller ones.

I have a Cold Case in one car and a FSR (four seasons radiator). The FSR is considerably more $ and I never had any problem with it.

The Cold Case cooled well but after a few years developed a small leak. It, like FSR, has a lifetime warranty. CC replaced it promptly

If you go EL fans, don't go cheap or you will spend a lot of time on the side of the road. SPAHL brushless fans but they cost $. Also need 2 good relay feeds, likely 30 amps each so you will need a 100 amp ALT

IMHO a 7 blade fan with clutch and stock fan shroud if its a V8 truck is the way to go.
72SB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:55 PM   #3
Kalums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
actually 2 larger core, 1 1/4"-1 1/2", cools better than 4 smaller ones.

I have a Cold Case in one car and a FSR (four seasons radiator). The FSR is considerably more $ and I never had any problem with it.

The Cold Case cooled well but after a few years developed a small leak. It, like FSR, has a lifetime warranty. CC replaced it promptly

If you go EL fans, don't go cheap or you will spend a lot of time on the side of the road. SPAHL brushless fans but they cost $. Also need 2 good relay feeds, likely 30 amps each so you will need a 100 amp ALT

IMHO a 7 blade fan with clutch and stock fan shroud if its a V8 truck is the way to go.
I'm not sure what kind of 2 row this one is... It is just thin(depth) and I only see two narrow rows when I look inside (under the cap)... After putting 12lbs of pressure in it it leaks like Swiss cheese, near all three necks and at almost every solder joint. The fan that I currently have is the 5 blade and the clutch is bad... Because it is siezed (won't spin when engine isn't running and always on) so I was just planning on upgrading while I was swapping parts.
Kalums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:15 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

NAPA has a four-row radiator. It's made of aluminum. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RNRNR369A

If you upgrade to it, you will need to change out the top and bottom mounts, as the two-row mounts are too small.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote