The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 09:59 AM   #1
Boog
laying low

Re: radiator w/electric fans upgrade questions

A guy doesn't have to go all fancy with radiators and fans to have a good operating system. IMO that is.
My '91 Sportside is all factory with the exception of the wheels and radio. It has a 350, auto and the truck only has 88,000 actual miles.
When I got it I noticed the clutch fan roared like a jet way too much so I bought a new AC delco fan clutch and it operated much better but the temp gauge never seemed to get up to a normal temp so I began to wonder how much better it would warm up on cold mornings without that fan blowing like a jet. After hooking up and looking at the vitals I found it was rarely getting into closed loop as well.
Note: this is the original radiator on the 33 yr old truck.
Fast forward I decided to try an e fan and not spend much money to see how it'd perform in town stop n go, summer heat, idling in traffic.
Most all vehicles now days use e fans, so why not convert this one. I prefer the OE equipment but just for trial sake I'll try an aftermarket e fan.
I removed the factory fan and shroud. I picked up a couple of upper radiator brackets at the bone yard. I bought a Flexalite 16" fan and a Derale controller. Total less than $175. This truck has a new 195* thermostat as well. Fan from O'Reillys and controller from Amazon.
Now, in this summer heat, it still runs plenty cool. The temp will get up over 205* with prolonged sitting in traffic with AC on of course but comes down right away.
I do not drive this truck everyday but I am pleased with the single 16" e fan's performance so far. I expect the engine will warm up faster on cold morning starts this winter as well. If and when this Flexalite burns out I may step up to a higher quality unit or a dual fan setup from another gm vehicle.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote