The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 04:43 AM   #1
EVRLET

Re: Living with the duramax vs the 6.0L?

Read all about which duramax here:

https://prosourcediesel.com/blog/che...blems-by-year/

The best duramax is the LBZ and the much newer L5P. You will pay a premium for an LBZ, but you won’t regret it. Just don’t pay stupid prices.

Are you looking for a single cab, extended cab, crew cab? 2wd, 4wd?

When buying a duramax you need to find someone with a Tech 2 or a scanner that can read injector balance rates. This is one of the most important tests when buying a used diesel because injectors are not cheap.

As for changing turbos, I seriously doubt you will need to change one. But if you did, you can remove the turbo without lifting the cab off the frame.

The CP3 injection pump is amazing. The garbage CP4 pumps in the newer diesels is the problem. You can change a pump if you need to, not difficult.

Everything on the 2000-2010 duramax is diy friendly. Just have to understand how diesels work.

First purchase for a Duramax is a lift pump. I have an air dog and they’re good. Other option is the fass lift pump. You need a lift pump because the CP3 has to really work to suck the gas from the tank all the way to the engine. The CP3 is mounted in the engine valley so that’s why it has to work. The lift pump is mounted by the tank and pushes the fluid at higher rates to the CP3 and this helps tremendously. Do you have to get a lift pump, no. But if you want to keep your diesel running forever and not have a CP3 failure, then it’s a must.

Next upgrade is a better trans cooler. I have a mishimoto and pulling 10k uphill, my trans temp hovers around 160-175. The Allison 6 speed that came with the LBZ is an awesome transmission. The 5 speed Allison in the LB7 and LLY is okay but the 6 speed is the one you want.

Sorry for the book