The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM   #1
Sebambam

Re: 53 GMC longbed project

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
just so we aere all on the same page, what is the final use for the truck, like what does the owner want out of it? is he looking for an around town cruiser/daily driver with not much freeway or high speed driving? if so then the 3 on the tree may get him by. if he's looking for highway use then he will have trouble keeping up with traffic. a trans with an overdrive would be good to have in that case. the thing is, any changes to the transmission will also mean the rear axle and driveline will need to be swapped out to be an open driveline with a visible driveshaft like a more modern vehicle has. I assume it still has the torque tube rear axle.?
it's all kinda like a downhill slide. it can be hard to stop once you get going. this change means you gotta change this other thing and while you're at it maybe you'll chis other thing cuz it's right there. pretty soon the truck is up on blocks and torn down but there is so much to do you get overwhelmed and it gets put on the back burner or tarped over for years.
I suggest small changes, keep driving it, get a list going of what you wanna change to make it better, decide from there if you wanna spend the time and money. otherwise, keep enjoying it. it looks like a nice truck.
Very much what I suggested. I don't have the time and space for all the can of worms mods that are needed with all the upgraded that could be done...

So
1. Wiring
2. 228 upgrade mods
3. Stock 3 speed working ..
Sebambam is offline   Reply With Quote