The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #1
jocko

72 C20 with an interesting previous owner NL2 aux tank modification

When I first bought this 72, I assumed a po had just replaced the NL2 fuel gauge selector switch with a standard toggle switch. But it really didn't matter since the floor-mounted fuel tank selector valve was long gone anyway. But as I looked closer, I noticed an electrically-actuated fuel tank selector valve was under the cab. Hmm - so THEN I wondered if the po sacrificed the ability to choose which tank level to display on the fuel gauge and wired in an electric tank selector valve in its place. To my surprise, when I pulled the switch to replace it with the standard NL2 rotary fuel gauge selector, I discovered a 6-terminal switch that in fact did all of the above - something I always secretly wished GM had done from the very start (i.e. flip the dash switch to aux and it would automatically change fuel tank selection AND fuel level sensor source for the fuel gauge). Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise (that I'll probably get rid of for the sake of originality - or, more likely, mount out of sight and put a dummy NL2 rotary switch in its place). Thought I'd share - never saw one of these before, but always wished there was such an animal from the factory. Now, if I could just get Fed Ex to stop playing soccer with the fuel tanks I order from Classic Parts.. Not only was the filler neck bent and pushed into the tank, the other corner was also rolled over completely from being dropped or something like that. I did chat with Classic Parts and a new tank is on the way, so no complaints about customer service Still a pain to have to drag the old (new) damaged one back to FedEx, but that's the way the tank bounces sometimes .
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #2
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: 72 C20 with an interesting previous owner NL2 aux tank modification

I just gave an factory auxiliary tank to a fellow board member that had the same electric switch as yours , the tank was given to me by another board member several years back . i don't remember what switch was in the dash but i assumed someone had added the electric switch from a square body.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #3
jocko

Re: 72 C20 with an interesting previous owner NL2 aux tank modification

Thanks Jerry - do you or does anyone know if that is indeed a standard squarebody fuel selector valve? Would really like to confirm - if so, I might just incorporate it (ie if I know there’s a chance of finding a replacement if it ever fails).
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #4
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Red face Re: 72 C20 with an interesting previous owner NL2 aux tank modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Thanks Jerry - do you or does anyone know if that is indeed a standard squarebody fuel selector valve? Would really like to confirm - if so, I might just incorporate it (ie if I know there’s a chance of finding a replacement if it ever fails).
I honestly don't know what the switch originally came from. i had to change the switch on my 73 way back when-but that was over 40 years ago and my feeble old brain can't remember that far back.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM   #5
dmack91

It looks like the factory squarebody switching valve from a mid to late 70s square.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM   #6
jocko

Thanks guys!
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM   #7
davischevy

Jocko, I have been ordering my gas tanks from Autozone. it's the same tank, no shipping and easy return if it's damaged.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM   #8
jocko

NOW ya tell me!
Yeah, if I had it to do over….
I’m also pretty close to Summit HQ in N TX, coulda just driven over there to pick it up.
Lesson learned, I’m gonna need another one for a different truck not too far off in the future. Thanks for the note, that’s a good tip.
Old Today, 12:41 AM   #9
sloGMC

My truck has dual saddle tanks and no in-cab tank. It had a double-pole, double-throw switch very much like that one, mounted under the gauge panel, and (still has) a selector valve like that.
The valve is available new from tanksinc.com. Don't know if it's based on a previous GM item. Figured my setup was just something a dealer or other outfitter installed. The wire gauge for the sender signals was like 14 awg -- way too much for just a signal.