The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2024, 07:11 PM   #12
mr48chev

Re: 1964 and two 1957 GMC up for Grabs

Old Chevy and GMC trucks or houses, it is supply and demand in certain locations that have more to do with prices.

Add good paying jobs in an area or have other things that make it desirable to move there and prices go up. AD trucks used to be an inexpensive way to get into the old car hobby and they always have been easier to find parts for than a lot of same age vehicles and they are pretty easy to modify because they are so simple. I've probably bought 20 of these trucks since 1973 and never paid more than 100 dollars for one. Haven't bought one since around 1990 though. The 3/4 ton that my cab on my 48 came off that I paid 50.00 for would bring 3500 right now in the same very nice with no engine or trans condition that I bought it in. The one I bought for the bed cost 75.00 and my buddy got the cab off that one and the bed off the 3/4 ton for his truck. The title for his truck came with a 25.00 pile of parts that some guy had taken apart down to the bare frame to restore and his daughter was selling it to get it out of her yard after he passed away. It took my buddy and I about 4 trips to haul all of that off and we had to borrow a trailer to get the frame back to my place. The cab off that one that we cut the roof off and hauled the rest for scrap would have an 800 dollar asking price now but it had too much rust down low for me to want to fool with it then. I think I scrapped more of that truck than I used and may still have the doors out in the shed. There was very little demand for those trucks in the late 70's and early 80's and a good supply in this area. In the 70's and even the 80's it was popular for guys from the rust belt area to go to Southern California and buy old cars or trucks for real decent prices and drive them back home across the country. That took a tole on what is available there now. Those "California" trucks and cars you see for sale in Minnesota now probably left California in the 80's.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote