The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 02:39 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Building models in the "old days"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Back when we built models they sold the paints and Testors glue on the shelf. Sometime later they moved the glue behind the counter so they could see who was buying the glue and how much at a time. Then there were the folks sniffing paint. Oh man...
'77-'78 I worked in an auto parts store. The paint could be kept out front in those days, except the metallics. Those we stored behind the counter because they were the "gourmet" colors, bright copper in particular. Since they used R-12(?) for propellant, I told one of the other countermen that those guys may as well buy a charging kit for automotive AC. We had a regular customer whose favorite was the bright copper. Always asked for a bag, because they spray the paint into the bag so they just huff the gas. This knucklehead counterman sold the guy a flat top can of R-12. The guy asked him how to get the gas out, and he told him to use an ice pick. He told me after the fact. I chewed him out for that. We didn't see the guy for many months. The next time he came in, he had scars on his arm and neck and up the side of his face. He bought bright copper paint and had it put in a bag.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote