The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 03:22 PM   #1
RichardJ

Re: Junkyard Parts Interchange?

You might look for an old Hollander Interchange Manual. They were a junkyard bible back in the 50-60-70s' I don't know if they were printed every year, but each edition would reach back 10 or more years. There was a lot of overlap and they weren't cheap at the time. Most wrecking yards had several additions that covered the years that worked for them at the time.
A Google search will give you many that are for sale and a better description of what they were and how to used them.

Around 1972 I was building a 1948 Dodge 1/2 with a '61 Imperial 413 drive train. The Dodge had terribly small brakes. A search through a Hollander told me that the Imperial used the same front wheel bearings as a '60 Dodge 250 truck. The '60 3/4 was solid axle with slightly larger king pins than the '48 1/2. A truck shop rebuilt the 1/2 axle with 3/4 kingpin and '58 spindles I found.
The Imperial brakes and hubs bolted on with maybe a hole drilled on the backing plates.
The Imperial had 5 x 5.5 lug pattern, 15" x 6" Artillery wheels that looked like the Nascar wheels ( before the aluminum). The Imperial rear axle gave me the same lug pattern and better gears.

Without the bearings, anything else would have been a lot more work, lot more time and a lot more money. In '72 you couldn't just go out and buy aftermarket discs for anything.

Last edited by RichardJ; Today at 03:37 PM.
RichardJ is online now   Reply With Quote