The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2024, 04:41 PM   #26
LS short box

Re: Rate my truck, add five pics of your truck.

Just an FYI on my 68 hood. It was nice but the hood did vibrate going down the road. Bugged the snot out of me. So I had some DEI trans tunnel insulation left over from project. It's about a 3/16" to 1/4" thick. Sticky on one side. Fiberglass insulation in the middle. Then kind of a waffle stainless outside. So I used that between the hood braces and the hood. Then when I was happy with the thickness I painted the edges black so you couldn't see it.
Oh and bed pic.
Thanks for all the kind words.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:12 PM   #27
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Just an FYI on my 68 hood. It was nice but the hood did vibrate going down the road. Bugged the snot out of me. So I had some DEI trans tunnel insulation left over from project. It's about a 3/16" to 1/4" thick. Sticky on one side. Fiberglass insulation in the middle. Then kind of a waffle stainless outside. So I used that between the hood braces and the hood. Then when I was happy with the thickness I painted the edges black so you couldn't see it.
Oh and bed pic.
Thanks for all the kind words.
Very nice, after seeing yours I went and did some searching and most of the shops like Brothers and summit sell hood brace padding that wedges in between the brace and hood. I'm heading from NC to Northern NH in a week so I'll worry about it when we get back in a few weeks. At least I know there are some easy options that are not expensive to run just for now.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:57 PM   #28
D.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
Man that looks great, I only mentioned it because mine looks worse. I plan to get a cowl hood this fall after AC/heat so I haven't been worried about it, for the mean time I do need to find something to adhere my supports to the bottom off the hood. The hood just vibrates in the wind now and looks like its about to blow open any time.

Pretty sure there is suppose to be some type of gasket or caulking between the hood and support but there is nothing.
I had the same issue where you could see my hood shimmy when driving. So I fixed that by using 3M NVH Dampening Material p/n 4274 and an applicator gun to squeeze the material in between the hood and braces. Then I painted the underside of the hood with some very good textured paint. Now the hood is solid, no movement at all and it closes like it is solid. The forum member that mentioned the 3M fix was Rich72C10 and he posted about it. Not sure how to save a post to one of these messages or I would. I recommend this if you have hood to brace issues.
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 03:25 PM   #29
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
Looks like a nice little runner, I'm in the no AC club for now as well. Hope to get out this Fall.
Thank you! It's a hoot to drive. Long term tire life is going to be problematic.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote