The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > Trucks For Sale

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM   #1
MidLifer

1984 K20 longbed - LS Swapped

Putting feelers out on this – I’m only listing it here for now, as this is the community I trust the most.

This is a no-apologies LS-swapped Squarebody. The story of this truck – a friend of mine brought this up north from Texas during Covid, where it had spent most of its life. He and his son worked on it and got it almost to the finish line when his son lost interest. This guy is a fantastic mechanic who has built more vehicles than I’ve ever driven and it shows in his work.

The truck is a 1984 K20 with the C6P option – 8600 GVWR. Has power windows, PS/PB, originally had air but it was taken out and replaced with heat-only. Corporate axles, locking hubs, original SM465 and transfer case, heavy springs, dual tanks. Body is as pictured – only one rot spot behind the passenger rear wheel. Paint failure on the passenger side door but only surface rust. Dry rockers. Cab corners have been replaced. I have a straight driver’s quarter panel in white to replace the dented one – needs a little work on the wheel well lip but is otherwise perfect.

What he did:
- Swapped in a L59 5.3 DBW engine out of a 2005 Tahoe and mated it with the SM465 with a new clutch. (L59 is the Flex Fuel version of the LM7).
- Long tube headers and new exhaust from the headers back into a single muffler and tailpipe, it sounds great
- Amazing ECU install and wiring – everything is loomed, fused and tight
- New fuel pumps in both tanks – I’ve currently got it set up with the driver’s tank as primary, there is a Walbro 392 in that tank, and the passenger tank is a transfer to the driver’s side, that tank has a Chinesium Walbro clone pump in it. The original tank switch valve is gone but the switch and wiring are intact if you wanted to go back to that.
- POR15’ed the underside of the body and epoxied the frame
- New brakes all around
- Ball joints, steering parts all replaced
- New floor mat

I bought the truck from him earlier this year and this is what I have done so far:
- Replumbed the fuel tanks as described above
- Re-foamed and recovered the seat (got everything from LMC)
- Repainted door cards and installed new armrests
- Brand new windshield put in last week, hasn’t even left the driveway
- Sourced stock steel wheels and hubcaps
- Installed new tailgate mechanism
- New side mirrors

What needs doing at this point:
- Install new passenger window motor and drivers window lift mechanism to get windows to open and close better (I have the parts, just haven’t put them in yet)
- Replace dented fender (which I have as noted above)
- Fix the one rust spot and paint the truck if desired

I’m not in a hurry to sell but my passions are going in a different direction at this point. I’m just looking to get back what I have in the truck.

Asking $9000 – you can’t buy and build one of these yourself for this money, not to mention the time you’d put in doing the swap. Not very flexible on that number. If I finish and paint it, it’s gonna sell for a lot more than this.

Let’s not waste each other’s time please - serious inquiries only. I can help arrange shipping. Truck is located in southern NJ close to Philadelphia.

Here’s a video of the truck starting cold - starts and runs like a LS should:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/011U...xXg3kNfQWAV0zw
Attached Images

Last edited by MidLifer; Today at 10:39 AM.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote