The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 07:29 AM   #1
Chevy nutcase

66 exhaust routing

Just recently finished a motor and tranny swap along with extensive cab floor repair on my c10 and as always there's more to be done. I ran the exhaust with Thrush glasspacks and while they were suitable in my teen years I want it quieter now. Right now they dump in front of the rear tires and I'd really like the new setup with turbo mufflers to exit straight out back. Problem is with this being lowered about 3", on the driver side the panhard bar is in the way. I was wondering if the mount for the bar on the frame could be modified to raise or lower it two inches to give me a clear shot. Making a new mount is no problem but I don't know if there's some geometry I'm overlooking as to why this may or may not be a good idea. If this can't be done I'll have to cross over the diff and take the pipes to the outside of the frame.

Umm editor if you could please give me a flip thx
Attached Images

Chevy nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: 66 exhaust routing

How is the spacing from front to back? Enough to bring the exhaust pipe straight down between the axle and panhard bar? I can't tell from your picture looking straight back if the bar sticks out far enough from the axle like mine does.

Just lowering should not affect how the exhaust routes because it would have been routed to avoid the axle or panhard bar from hitting the exhaust when driving over a large bump with stock suspension when the axle can move all the way up to the rubber bumper on the frame.

If you must, it should be harmless to re-work the panhard bar in some way because all it does is keep the axle from moving side to side.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote