The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2024, 01:21 PM   #26
farmall

Re: When was the first time you had anything to do with a

Very cool joedoh!
89 GMC Jimmy Stock https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810958
71 LT1 Convertible, 72 Coupe
69 CJ5, 75 CJ6, 67 M715, 72 M35A2 Bobbed, 95 XLC2
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 10:58 PM   #27
Greg58

When I was a young feller, I had bought a 73 Buick LeSabre from my aunt and was driving it to college. In 76 the oil crunch hit and I wanted out of that land barge so I traded it in on a 74 Orange bug.
I drove it for a couple of years, was always reliable, got decent mileage, heater sucked and it wasn't cool. So my mother bought it from me and drove it for many years, she used it for her job with the Ag Dept. she would drive around the countryside enumerating crops, and interviewing farmers.
At some point she got a better car, and my folks kept it for a backup.
Funny part was my Dad without even telling my mom, gave it away to one of his bar buddies who needed a car. My mom was mad at him for quite a while! Not the first or last thing he did for his bar buddies over the years...
1987 Chevy Suburban 2500, Silverado, 2wd, 454, t-400
2023 Chevy Silverado LT 3500, crew cab, longbox, 4x4 Z-71 Duramax.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 09:45 PM   #28
arks

Back in ‘74, my sister- 2 years older than me- decided she wanted to trade in her first (used) car and get a BRAND NEW one. Well, the only car she could afford was a VW Beetle, and not even the Super Beetle. It was canary yellow with only 1 option- an AM radio. The problem was she didn’t know how to drive a stick, so she had to ask her 16 year old little brother (me) to go with her to the dealership and drive it home. No problem, I’d been driving sticks since I was 7.
I found that little bug kinda fun- and very easy to drive. Yeah it was slow, and the heater would only put out if the car was moving (!). I gave her driving lessons for a week before she was comfortable enough to drive alone. At the time, we lived at the top of a big hill, and the main road was narrow with 2 underpasses. She refused to drive up that road because she was afraid she may have to stop on the hill (LOL). I showed her how to use the parking brake but she just couldn’t get it! For the next 3 years she ALWAYS used the ‘other’ (longer but flat) road to get home! Anyway, we entered that ‘punch buggy’ in a bunch of timed road rallies, and even won one of them!
Now here’s the kicker: the car she traded in was a beautiful ‘65 Mustang, maroon with black interior, 289, auto, factory A/C, and rally-pac! WOW! Nobody back then knew it would be so valuable down the road.
Old 05-31-2024, 01:14 PM   #29
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
Bought this as a body and pan only, but it did have a current title. Built it as a street buggy. 1600 sp, 009, etc. The first time I took it off road and saw what a VW would do, it had a transformation. Transform type one transmission with ring gear swap so I could hang bus boxes, upright not layed back. Loved that low first gear. One piece skid plate from the front of the trans to the back of the engine cage, also protecting the pushrod tubes. Fan driven oil cooler inside the tub for protection. Air filter was in the tub also for those occasional water crossings. Kingpin adj front beam. This buggy never once broke down on me. Had some awesome camping trips in it. Used to flat tow it, set up base camp, take off for the day. Fun little machine.
That's very cool. Looks like so much fun.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 01:25 PM   #30
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I had a 66 with an 1835 when i was a kid. always been a german car fan.

as co-inky-dinks go, this weekend i picked up a 63 sedan and a 64 vert. I was there to pick up my 56 chevy i bought from the same guy and my neighbor had agreed to buy both bugs. as the pick up date approached he started wavering, and on the night before leaving to nebraska (6 hr trip) he finally let the intrusive thoughts win and talked me into buying his position.

when i got there, he had pulled a full 3 truck beds worth of parts out that were included with the deal and I had no idea existed but I am glad they did. everything from new patch panels and new pans to brand new firestone bias tires.

of course my neighbor, kept updated on the trip through texts, tried to reverse his sale. first for just the convertible, then for the whole lot. nothing doing, sleep in the bed you made, van winkle.
You bailed him out, and now he wants back in... Did him a favor and hopefully he can see that he set you up to make a great buy - and gave up his chance. Got me thinking about people who change their mind based on what others think - it seems like once you wanted them, he wanted them again.
Old 05-31-2024, 02:06 PM   #31
Boog
laying low

Hmf. That sounds like a woman. She might not want you but she don't want any other woman to have you either. Women are funny like that.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 03:32 PM   #32
weq92f

Circa 1992, my last college spring break. Best buddy and I travelled to Cancun Mexico, there we decided to go see the Mayan ruins near Tulum, maybe an hour drive so we rented a car. The car was a brand new, shiny cream colored VW bug! Had a tiny engine and a 4 speed gearbox with no luxuries at all. Asking around we discovered that indeed these were being built still right there in Mexico, evidenced by the number of them sputtering around.

The thing was completely gutless but there was a sense of fun while driving it, not so much that I became a VW lover though, sadly.

-Kevin
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 03:47 PM   #33
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

My first memory was 1979. A real dk hung around my friends and I for a pinch, dude was psycho. Anyway, he borrowed his "friends" VW and we took it onto a dirt road, where the idiot drove, The guy really knew how to drive though, I didn't know bugs could do that.

My ex's boyfriend has a neat 56ish. I've always thought it would be cool to have one, I like the old camp bus too.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-01-2024 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Ha ha ha , I wrote my ex boyfriend. Yikes
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 07:58 AM   #34
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
You bailed him out, and now he wants back in... Did him a favor and hopefully he can see that he set you up to make a great buy - and gave up his chance. Got me thinking about people who change their mind based on what others think - it seems like once you wanted them, he wanted them again.
no, i think what happened is what always happens with guys and projects, i call it "bench racing", where you think about the steps and when you get to one you dont have an easy solution for, even though you havent even started, you punt. i always say do what comes first before worrying about what comes next. without the ability to do anything except wait, he just talked himself out of it before we even picked them up.

and part of it was all the extra parts. it was a great deal even with the distance and when i pulled up and there were 3 truckloads of extras, i think he saw that and had the "what have i done?" moment. it was a little classless to offer to buy just the best part of it (convertible and spares) but he is a good neighbor and i wont hold it against him.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 02:15 PM   #35
LT7A

Quote:
no, i think what happened is what always happens with guys and projects, i call it "bench racing", where you think about the steps and when you get to one you dont have an easy solution for, even though you havent even started, you punt. i always say do what comes first before worrying about what comes next. without the ability to do anything except wait, he just talked himself out of it before we even picked them up.

and part of it was all the extra parts. it was a great deal even with the distance and when i pulled up and there were 3 truckloads of extras, i think he saw that and had the "what have i done?" moment. it was a little classless to offer to buy just the best part of it (convertible and spares) but he is a good neighbor and i wont hold it against him.
"No", eh? Pretty plausible based on how you described the conversation. But you were the one having it so you'd know. Seemed to have missed the intended "commiseration" of dealing with the situation of having someone change their mind and putting one in a potentially awkward position of having gained by their indecision - and meanwhile, they're regretting it. But carry on, good luck with it all.
Old 06-01-2024, 06:13 PM   #36
joedoh

Quote:
"No", eh? Pretty plausible based on how you described the conversation. But you were the one having it so you'd know. Seemed to have missed the intended "commiseration" of dealing with the situation of having someone change their mind and putting one in a potentially awkward position of having gained by their indecision - and meanwhile, they're regretting it. But carry on, good luck with it all.
if the worst thing my good neighbor does to me is passes back a great deal to me that i passed to him, i can forgive him without a second thought. i knew going into it he probably wouldnt be able to empty the garage he has had filled for 25 years, he wouldnt probably finish in his or even my lifetime. and the dollars were super small. no big dealio

Old 06-01-2024, 09:03 PM   #37
68bowtie

This comment. Is the first thing. Lol

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 11:38 PM   #38
farmall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
My first memory was 1979. A real dk hung around my friends and I for a pinch, dude was psycho. Anyway, he borrowed his "friends" VW and we took it onto a dirt road, where the idiot drove, The guy really knew how to drive though, I didn't know bugs could do that.

My ex's boyfriend has a neat 56ish. I've always thought it would be cool to have one, I like the old camp bus too.
Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; Today at 03:52 PM. Reason: Ha ha ha , I wrote my ex boyfriend. Yikes

edit.... I thought if thats a chick, I want to meet her.
89 GMC Jimmy Stock https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810958
71 LT1 Convertible, 72 Coupe
69 CJ5, 75 CJ6, 67 M715, 72 M35A2 Bobbed, 95 XLC2
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 11:54 PM   #39
LT7A

Quote:
if the worst thing my good neighbor does to me is passes back a great deal to me that i passed to him, i can forgive him without a second thought. i knew going into it he probably wouldnt be able to empty the garage he has had filled for 25 years, he wouldnt probably finish in his or even my lifetime. and the dollars were super small. no big dealio
Seem destined to misunderstand my comments. What do you need to forgive your neighbor for? I was thinking the other way around....
Old 06-01-2024, 11:56 PM   #40
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

^ Yeah, I figured he meant ex-girlfriend, and didn't ask, either. #notthatthereisanythingwrongwiththat

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 09:27 AM   #41
joedoh

Quote:
Seem destined to misunderstand my comments. What do you need to forgive your neighbor for? I was thinking the other way around....
i guess i really do misunderstand? my neighbor needs to forgive me?

Old 06-04-2024, 12:05 PM   #42
LT7A

Quote:
i guess i really do misunderstand? my neighbor needs to forgive me?
Yeah. That's it exactly. Very narrow and literal and not at all on track. So I'll clarify.

No. From the start, I put myself in your place and could see the difficulty of dealing with someone who was part of a deal and backed out and might be frustrated that you benefited from what they gave up on. That was the message of your original post and that's all I've been talking about this whole time. You've misinterpreted it negatively at each turn. Did it ever occur to you that someone might be replying to your comment with a supportive comment of their own? That's all I was doing. But suffice it to say the effort has backfired so go ahead and think what you will.

Sorry about the side track GOPAPA, this was a good idea for a thread since many of us have experience with VWs. Anyway, I learned to drive a manual transmission in a bug. My best friend had one when we were in high school. Never thought I'd want one, but truth be told, I would probably snap one up now if I found the right deal.
Old 06-04-2024, 02:05 PM   #43
Boog
laying low

As I have learned, several times, one's humorous intent does not always land the way it was sent. No harm, no foul eh?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 09:06 PM   #44
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
As I have learned, several times, one's humorous intent does not always land the way it was sent. No harm, no foul eh?
Thanks Boog. A case of misunderstanding and misinterpreted intent. joedoh pinged me offline, and we're all good.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:35 PM   #45
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Found a pic of my old buggy from the day I drug it home. I bought it from the original owner a fella in his late 70's.

A while later he contacted me and asked if I had done anything with it yet and wondered if he could buy it back. I let it go and have no idea what happened with it. I don't know if the fella is still with us.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2024, 07:23 AM   #46
BRL

The first time?
Around 1980 I found myself stationed at Columbus Air Force base Mississippi and a fellow heavy equipment operator got some clunker Bug from somebody leaving for a new assignment.
The thing had no license tabs, insurance,...or brakes, so it stayed on base and we just used it for transportation to and from the package store. (booze)

In order to stop it, or at least slow it down, we just pulled the hand brake which actually did work to some extent.
Now I find myself having a Bug that needs brakes and a master cylinder, of which I have all the parts, but so far have lacked the motivation due to a severe retirement condition.
That could change soon though, the weather is warmer and I've seen just about enough garbage on TV to last a lifetime.
Attached Images

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote