The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2024, 08:41 AM   #26
davischevy

Re: Americans have to stop the addiction

I have no problem with EV's. They have a place in some scenarios, for some people, but, as with any commodity, sales should be market driven, not government subsidized.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 09:39 AM   #27
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
I'm not getting into an argument about the merit of EVs.

But for the still-produced ICE vehicles: why not offer an affordable car or truck that meets safety and emissions standards... but which has roll up windows, a handle to move the (cloth) seat forward and back, a rubber floor, and no stupid ipad on the dash. Maybe people would want those. Maybe a six speed trans is fine, you don't need a 10 speed. Maybe more people would fight to keep their access to a modern, well built vehicle that is basic transportation. Make it a little harder for an EV company to enter the market, this is Business 101.
I keep wondering the same thing!! As expensive as things are I’m sure they would be a hit.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 09:40 AM   #28
Dead Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Imagine trying to move an Army/Navy with EV's..
They are looking into it. https://www.nationaldefensemagazine....-detroits-help

My gripe with EVs, and most newer vehicles, is all of the alpha and beta test technology being included. Plus the one or more distractomatic screens with poorly designed UIs. And the always connected tracking device feature.

Make an EV Pickup with a full sized bed and a physical control layout similar to my 75 C10, without the tracking device, and I would be very interested.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 10:30 AM   #29
68bowtie

This is an interesting read. Aside from the fuel savings, pretty much everything else costs more. Over the life of the car an EV will cost you more on average. Purchase price, tires, depreciation, insurance…

And that doesn’t factor in the battery situation, or the fears about where to charge and for how long.

Again, many factors vary based on which car, driving style, etc so I have no doubts they are fantastic for some.

To anyone who thinks EV’s are important for the environment, I think that’s commendable, we need to work on making them attractive to more buyers so they willingly buy them.

https://www.nada.org/nada/nada-headl...v-ice-vehicles

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #30
Accelo

Yes an interesting thread.

More food for discussion:

Tesla Model Y isn’t just American made—it’s the #1 most American-made car you can drive. Built-in America with American-made parts—and having achieved five-star safety ratings in every category—

Just because Ford is losing money on EV doesn't mean they can't be built for a profit.
Tesla is making money on their cars. Per vehicle, its less than they used to, but still a profit being made.

Also noted is the Chinese are willing to sell even cheaper EVs. Lots of protectionism in the US and Europe as they do not want to lose Jobs and profit to China. Maybe they are subsidized by the government. Sound familiar to anyone?

According to https://www.nrdc.org/stories/electri...eaper-drive-ev
Every EV model in every state is cheaper to fill than a gas-powered vehicle. These savings are largely based on the fact that current EVs are 2.6 to 4.8 times more efficient at traveling a mile compared to a gasoline internal combustion engine, according to real world data collected by the U.S. Department of Energy. Taking these charging costs into account, a 2020 study broke down the lifetime fuel costs of battery-powered EVs versus internal combustion engine cars state by state. EV owners in Washington State, for example, can save as much as $14,480 over the life of their vehicle—the highest margin in the country. On the other end of the spectrum is Hawaii, where going electric could ultimately cost $2,494 more over 15 years. The site's study found that owning an EV would always be cheaper. On the high end, net savings ranged from $7,000 to $11,000.

Interesting topic, appreciate everyone's input.

Last edited by Accelo; Yesterday at 02:52 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #31
68bowtie

It’s very odd to me the statement from Ford about what consumers need to do. Seems like people will do what they want and need personly (aside from the states forcing mandates). Like you said, there are so many nuances that save costs for some circumstances and not others. The fact Ford wants consumers to change their preferences … for who? For Ford? For the govt? Naaah. Just make a better widget and people will buy it!

Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #32
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
Yes an interesting thread.

More food for discussion:

Tesla Model Y isn’t just American made—it’s the #1 most American-made car you can drive. Built-in America with American-made parts—and having achieved five-star safety ratings in every category—

Just because Ford is losing money on EV doesn't mean they can't be built for a profit.
Tesla is making money on their cars. Per vehicle, its less than they used to, but still a profit being made.

Also noted is the Chinese are willing to sell even cheaper EVs. Lots of protectionism in the US and Europe as they do not want to lose Jobs and profit to China. Maybe they are subsidized by the government. Sound familiar to anyone?

According to https://www.nrdc.org/stories/electri...eaper-drive-ev
Every EV model in every state is cheaper to fill than a gas-powered vehicle. These savings are largely based on the fact that current EVs are 2.6 to 4.8 times more efficient at traveling a mile compared to a gasoline internal combustion engine, according to real world data collected by the U.S. Department of Energy. Taking these charging costs into account, a 2020 study broke down the lifetime fuel costs of battery-powered EVs versus internal combustion engine cars state by state. EV owners in Washington State, for example, can save as much as $14,480 over the life of their vehicle—the highest margin in the country. On the other end of the spectrum is Hawaii, where going electric could ultimately cost $2,494 more over 15 years. The site's study found that owning an EV would always be cheaper. On the high end, net savings ranged from $7,000 to $11,000.

Interesting topic, appreciate everyone's input.
I happen to know this guy and looked at his problem....He has a Tesla and of course a ICE car for backup also.
In the Tesla's power seat configuration is a little plastic pully/cable guide that unlocks the seat on the track, it's about the diameter of a silver dollar and slightly thicker with a groove for a cable about 1/16" in diameter, just a black piece of plastic that broke.

Tesla's assembly plant is about 80 miles from where we are, he tried for 2 months to buy that broken piece and got nowhere so he decided to drive to the Tesla plant.. Long story short you have to buy the whole seat assembly for $6k, yep six thousand dollars, they do not sell parts.
He finally found someone to 3D it out of much better/stronger material and got it fixed.

Electric cars are anything and everything but cheap and I believe study's always favor whom ever is paying for it.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote