The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2024, 05:58 PM   #1
slowboy

short Automatic Transmission Dipstick

1972 GMC P/U Truck
CUSTOM 1500
350 4bbl
TH350 Transmission
REAR WHEEL DRIVE

I was checking transmission fluid and the last couple inches of the stick snapped off...the end that goes into transmission with the measurements on it.
Fortunately it broke off in my hand and not in the transmission.

While looking for a new dipstick I purchased one that I thought was right for the TH350, it said for GM TH350 on the packaging.[I think part number was 720-9764]
Only thing is, is that the new dipstick was [I returned it to Advance Auto until I can find out what's going on], 27" long from the tip to the top of the top hat, and the one I took out of my truck was only 24/25" long from the tip to the top of the top hat.
Can anybody tell me how my truck could possibly have a shorter transmission dipstick? And is this normal?
Could somebody apparently had put the wrong length dipstick in before I bought the truck?
Or is this truck known for some of them having the shorter length dipstick?

My understanding is that the TH350's pan is a square with a corner cut off... and that is the way my pan is and that's why I'm calling it a TH350.

Thanks and much appreciation for all info,

Keith [slowboy]
slowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #2
HotWheelsFan

Re: short Automatic Transmission Dipstick

I would say the dipstick goes with the tube and should be correct. However, aftermarket tubes may differ from stock and, or, original - just as they could have a chance of inaccuracy - as some aftermarket items can be.

With your question, I have seen several different tube lengths from vehicle to vehicle. I would think the 350 and 400 Hydromatics would have dipstick tubes that could be swapped and possibly with the powerglide and others. From my recollection I have seen the shortest tubes on the earliest vehicles and they seem to me the length got longer on some vehicles throughout the 70s to 80s.

And, you have where the full and low marks on the dipstick and where they actually are in relation to the length of the dipstick.

Many differences with many length options and more than one correct outcome. An easy answer would be to use a good dipstick - tube set and change the tube with the dipstick if you feel the length differs from your actual length.

Remember, its the fluid level in the trans that needs to be correct, not what you see on the dipstick. Use common sense, maybe a second set of eyes, or a professional if you feel something does not look right and warm fluid readings will differ from cold readings as well as some transmissions ask to be checked in neutral and some in park...

Bob
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #3
Accelo

"I would think the 350 and 400 Hydromatics would have dipstick tubes that could be swapped and possibly with the Powerglide and others."

The tubes and guages for all the above transmissions are different.

The correct level should be exactly at the pan gasket level. I would cut off the replacement gauge to match the old one and possibly file marks into it.
It would not have done any damage if the gauge had broken off inside the transmission.
One can purchase the tube and gauge as a set, typically with the upgraded "Top Hat" seal at the bottom. Likely the best option.
Avoid anything chrome. They almost always leak.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:02 AM   #4
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
"I would think the 350 and 400 Hydromatics would have dipstick tubes that could be swapped and possibly with the Powerglide and others."

The correct level should be exactly at the pan gasket level. I would cut off the replacement gauge to match the old one and possibly file marks into it.
It would not have done any damage if the gauge had broken off inside the transmission.
One can purchase the tube and gauge as a set, typically with the upgraded "Top Hat" seal at the bottom. Likely the best option.
Cheers
Agree.

I just got done re-sealing and installing a th350 in my 68. I used an aftermarket dipstick/tube that utilizes a hat seal as opposed to the o-ring style (notorious for leaks). I’ve used them in the past and as previously NO leaks, very happy. The OEM dipstick measures 24” and the aftermarket measures 26”, at least the ones I have. Here is a pic of an aftermarket dipstick (the tube is installed on my current th350) and the OEM tube/dipstick for comparison. The important thing is to make sure the dipstick and tube combo match.
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:36 AM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post

Cheers
Good information. I will check mine next filter change.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #6
slowboy

Thanks for 'ALL' of y'all's replies, very helpful!
And much appreciated!

Keith [slowboy]
slowboy is online now   Reply With Quote