The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
roger55

Fender and hood emblem rechroming

I'd like to have mine rechromed. Does anyone have any recommendations on a place that does this?

I've got a '57 3200 pickup and they only have the repro fender emblems for other models. I know I can get a repro one for the hood but they are really expensive.

There is a little pitting on them but not really bad. I used some sandpaper on one of the worst pits but as you can see, it is still there but it is smaller than it was.

roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Jyman

Re: Fender and hood emblem rechroming

I can't help you with a place to get it rechromed. but If I remember my grandfather had said something about using Vaseline and steel wool on pitted chrome. he said the steel wool takes the pits out and the Vaseline helps protect the chrome. I don't know something to maybe try, but maybe someone can chime in on this that's done it.

2000 Chevy Extreme lowrider, 4.3, NV3500, 3.08 rear, upgraded/modded

2001 GMC Sonoma Zr2, 4.3, NV3500, Stock
Jyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
parkwood

I'm sure you'll find a good place in TX to have you parts plated.. the pits can be taken out and they do that by stripping the part and then depending on the shop solder or copper plating it and buffing it smooth then nickel plate then chrome... your's look to be in really nice shape and will fit you truck much better than re pops.. just don't drop dead from sticker shock...
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
fabguy
Elev8r Man

I am having my grill and parking light bezels & ashtray re chromed all for the low price (yeah right) of 450.00 I chose this route over reproduction because I know it will fit better and it seems that rechroming lasts longer than new repops
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
Jyman

for $450 that's not bad for all of those parts, they told me when I asked about just my grill getting rechromed that they will start at $1,000 and go from there.

2000 Chevy Extreme lowrider, 4.3, NV3500, 3.08 rear, upgraded/modded

2001 GMC Sonoma Zr2, 4.3, NV3500, Stock
Jyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #6
1project2many

I had my 3200 fender emblems, door V's, hood emblem, and turn signal done by a place in MT called Classic Plating. That was quite a few years ago but they've held up well. I think I paid $350 in '97 or '98. One of the fender spears had a damaged tip that they had to repair and apparently it took a fair amount of time. Both of the V's were pretty well pitted, too.

The real trick was painting the emblem again. I really wanted to duplicate the factory look. Ended up using a Q-tip to grease the tops of the letters and the emblem then sprayed the whole thing. After the paint had cured for a bit I just scraped off the paint where the grease had been applied. Worked well. That was after trying a *bunch* of different things based on suggestions from guys that had never BTDT.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Tomb23

These guys are Great !!

www.facebook.com/nwchrome

http://www.nwchromeinc.com/
Tomb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Russell Ashley

It's a coincidence that this topic would be mentioned now, as I painted mine just this past Saturday. They are easy to tape up due to the shape of the piece, but getting the paint off of the letters is the trick. I painted mine with Rustoleum Regal red. As soon as the paint flashed off I removed the tape, then held a rag tightly over the tip of my finger, wet it with lacquer thinner, and wiped the paint off of the top of the letters. You have to do it a few times, changing the rag position and re-wetting it each time, to get the letters completely clean. It's really not difficult as the letters are raised high enough to get to just the tops easily. The dark spots around the red part in the pic are shadows of the letters, not a sloppy tape job. Mine need replaced or rechromed too but that will have to wait due to other more pressing needs.
Attached Images

Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
Rude Dude

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline) also works great. I have used it when painting the emblems covering the leters with a Q Tip or small flat modeler's brush painting then waiting til it is dry in a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
I had my 3200 fender emblems, door V's, hood emblem, and turn signal done by a place in MT called Classic Plating. That was quite a few years ago but they've held up well. I think I paid $350 in '97 or '98. One of the fender spears had a damaged tip that they had to repair and apparently it took a fair amount of time. Both of the V's were pretty well pitted, too.

The real trick was painting the emblem again. I really wanted to duplicate the factory look. Ended up using a Q-tip to grease the tops of the letters and the emblem then sprayed the whole thing. After the paint had cured for a bit I just scraped off the paint where the grease had been applied. Worked well. That was after trying a *bunch* of different things based on suggestions from guys that had never BTDT.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #10
TX58

I had my '58 fender spears,hood trim, and interior fresh air vents done at a shop here in Houston for about $800
They look great
Posted via Mobile Device
TX58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
_Ogre

you could always airbrush them on

low profile ''chrome''

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
1project2many

Beautiful.

In my case I'd be lucky if I could airbrush yellow paint onto the side of that truck, let alone a low profile chrome emblem.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
mr48chev

I'd suggest attending a few shows in the area and talking to guys who have fresh looking chrome who did their chrome. Chrome work on their cars, trucks and bikes is one thing that guy are usually willing to talk about to some extent and most will tell you straight off how they feel about the quality of the work and the price they paid. Around this area I couldn't even begin to tell you the closest place to have chrome done outside of Portland or Seattle.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
oldcouple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
It's a coincidence that this topic would be mentioned now, as I painted mine just this past Saturday. They are easy to tape up due to the shape of the piece, but getting the paint off of the letters is the trick. I painted mine with Rustoleum Regal red. As soon as the paint flashed off I removed the tape, then held a rag tightly over the tip of my finger, wet it with lacquer thinner, and wiped the paint off of the top of the letters. You have to do it a few times, changing the rag position and re-wetting it each time, to get the letters completely clean. It's really not difficult as the letters are raised high enough to get to just the tops easily. The dark spots around the red part in the pic are shadows of the letters, not a sloppy tape job. Mine need replaced or rechromed too but that will have to wait due to other more pressing needs.
A fresh single edge razor blade will clean up the tops of the letters just fine, no worry about thinner running down and melting the paint.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #15
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcouple View Post
A fresh single edge razor blade will clean up the tops of the letters just fine, no worry about thinner running down and melting the paint.
Have you actually done it that way? It wouldn't work with mine because the letters have a slight amount of "flash" around the edges that raises the edge of some of the letters. Not much, but enough to prevent using a razor blade to scrape it off. Also, you don't soak the rag enough that the thinner would drip, and you wrap it tightly around your finger so that it only touches the tops of the letters. You do it before the paint has fully set and it wipes off easily. Just saying what worked for me, and mine came out perfect.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
oldcouple

Yes that is what I did, it was on one of the car related show tips. I tried doing the thinner thing, but after two days of drying in the sun it still ruined it and I had to start over.
Attached Images