The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2019, 11:19 PM   #1
Phungki

Welding WTH

If you haven’t caught on yet with all the questions I ask, this is all new to me. I’ve done minor car repair things over the years. Replaced starters, alternators, mufflers,plugs, wires and replaced a few leaky valve cover gaskets. Really minor stuff. I knew when I got into this that I would be over my head but learn a lot and have some fun. So far both have been true lol. It’s kind of a bucket list thing for me so I’m good with it. So on to the reason for this post

I knew I was going to get to weld some stuff. Never done it before. Never had the need. My prior “hobby” has been rehabbing the homes I live in. Not much welding needed. So as I’m working the frame of my truck my dad is welding something on one of his mowers. I asked to try it myself just so I could get an idea before I start with some patch panels in the near future. WTH, I couldn’t see a f’n thing. My dads helmet darkens when you start welding which I thought was kind of cool. But then all I saw was a bright light. Couldn’t see the two pieces of scrap metal I was supposed to be welding together. Couldn’t see the “puddle” he was talking about. Nothing, just a bright spot. He said, “you will get use to it, you will learn to see it”. I don’t know about that. Slightly discouraged. He did say it was his cheap welder. He didn’t have any gas for his other one. Whatever that means. I asked what kind of welding this was and he said mig.
Does this sound right? I just have to learn to see? Are there helmets that protect your eyes but don’t make it so damn dark? How can you be precise?
Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote