The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Me Gots Meez some Ford 9" questions!

Just picked up a 74 Camaro that I am going to turn into a bracket car. Also just found this morning a guy that has a 70 Bronco 9" for sale. Unless someone has changed it out, should be 28 splines and either small or big bearing'd. I don't know if it has a posi but don't care because I'm running a spool. The housing itself is a little too narrow and I don't want to tub the car or relocate the springs. This is just a "for fun" car and don't want to get too carried away. Why I'm interested is that it has the 4.11 gears in it already and that's the ratio I want.

Question is with respects to the third member only, is the only thing that makes it a 28 or 31 spline is just the side gears? In other words, could a guy at a 28 spline 3rd member, remove the side gears for a 31 mini spool and get 31 spline axles to slide through the carrier itself? I will be getting a different housing and will buy aftermarket 31 axles. Just want to know if I can use the 3rd member only. Thanks!
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
kpeztruck

Re: Me Gots Meez some Ford 9" questions!

Just buy a full spool, and call it done. The factory third member is limited to what it can handle, but have seen them run mid 5 second passes in the eighth mile. The mini-spools have been known to fail more often. It will be worth the extra outlay in cash. Paul Baxter
kpeztruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Re: Me Gots Meez some Ford 9" questions!

Well now that I got the rear end in the garage, my plan has changed. I might have painted the wrong picture by using the word "bracket car". It will mostly be a gutted street car that I am going to use to test my Holleys on. I'd like to take it down to our 1/8th mile track but it will be street legal and spend most of it's time there.

I think I did good though. Turned out to be a 28 spline with 4.11 gears and factory Posi. Not about to mess with the 3rd member now. I realize 31 spline is a lot stronger but I did a 28 spline in my 68 396 Camaro and ran er hard with no problems. If I break an axle I'll just buy some stronger aftermarket ones. Can't go wrong with a complete big bearing 9" posi for $250!!!!

Last edited by prostreetC-10; 03-07-2011 at 12:55 AM.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote