The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Weekend Body Work

I plan to fix up my daily driver this summer But working on it will be on weekends only .

I see the possibility of getting half way through a panel and having to roll things up to go to work on Monday . I'm looking for products and tips to make this as easy as possible . Its an 84 one ton with an 89 burb wrap ,Needs rockers and corners , one of the rear fenders has a chunk missing (fiberglass)

I'm not looking for anything show quality . Just something that will not look like a patchwork quilt .
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Weekend Body Work

I would suggest that on a limited time budget do work on only one panel at a time. It will look like a pacthwork quilt there is no way around it on limited time. Omni make a high-build primer that can be rolled or brushed on to save a lot of time taping up a lot of truck just to spray a small spot. That primer can be found at PPG dealers and is # mp182-3 w/activator. Good luck on getting it done, it is a lot of work but very rewarding
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

I am in hopes the omni will hold the water out better than the standard red oxide . It may take a while to get it done
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
hugger6933

The high-build is porous as are most all primers. The exeception that I am aware of is Epoxy primer. It will do better than the others keeping out water as it forms like a plastic sheet over the surface. If you are gonna be a while in paint prep go with the e-prime the when you do take the truck out of service for paint you can reprime it with the e-prime then put on the high build
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote