The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Conundrum

Question Runs rough

I have a 91 suburban 2wd with a tbi 350 and a 700r4, I bought it in April 08, it takes a little time to start when its cold and has an eratic idle when it is running. For some background on it, it was bought from a local highschool the same day they had put a new crate engine in it (now has around 40,000 mi on it). It has a new alternator, had a transmission installed in Apr of 07 along with a fuel pump (they went out on the same day). The reason I know this is my wife works with the lady that used to own it and she has told her all about it. And she says that it run fine until a local shop put the fuel pump in it, and theey told her the oil pump was bad also. I have noticed that the oil pressure is a little low. I have been trying to figure out why it is hard to start, will die from time to time, and sounds like it has a misfire. a couple of friends of mine and I worked on it for awhile changing the cap and rotor, tried the tps, checked for vacuum leaks, checked the firing order. My question is, would a bad or wrong fuel pump or a weak or bad oil pump cause this problem?

Thanks for any help.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Re: Runs rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
I have a 91 suburban 2wd with a tbi 350 and a 700r4, I bought it in April 08, it takes a little time to start when its cold and has an eratic idle when it is running. For some background on it, it was bought from a local highschool the same day they had put a new crate engine in it (now has around 40,000 mi on it). It has a new alternator, had a transmission installed in Apr of 07 along with a fuel pump (they went out on the same day). The reason I know this is my wife works with the lady that used to own it and she has told her all about it. And she says that it run fine until a local shop put the fuel pump in it, and theey told her the oil pump was bad also. I have noticed that the oil pressure is a little low. I have been trying to figure out why it is hard to start, will die from time to time, and sounds like it has a misfire. a couple of friends of mine and I worked on it for awhile changing the cap and rotor, tried the tps, checked for vacuum leaks, checked the firing order. My question is, would a bad or wrong fuel pump or a weak or bad oil pump cause this problem?

Thanks for any help.
Frist off a bad oil pump will not make it do that, now a bad fuel pump could do some of that.

1) check your fuel filter
2) check timing
3) Do a vacunm check on the motor
4) plugs and wires.

I know someone on here will come up with some more things, but that is what I would try.

Trav
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Conundrum

Re: Runs rough

I changed the fuel filter already, I will check the timing as soon as I get a chance.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote