The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2021, 03:27 AM   #1
NorCalGal

Need measurements

Can someone please give me the stock measurement of then distance between the front of the bed up to the bottom indent of the belt line on the cab. My truck is a 53.

Thanks in advance, Jan
Old 02-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: Need measurements

just to clarify,
you are looking for the dimension between the box and the rear wall of the cab, just under the body beltline?
or
you are looking for the dimension of the height of the box at the beltline? your box would have the angled top rail on each box side, correct? you would want the dimension of the box height at the top of the front wall of the box in that case?
if someone is kind enough to check, maybe get both dimensions.

-dimension from frame of truck to top of box front wall-

-dimension between the front most part of the front wall of the box, at the top of the box wall, and the cab-

-dimension from the frame of the truck to the topmost part of the cab roof arc-52 1/2" as per old car manuals project- I didn't see a dimension for height of the box or dimension from cab to box in that manual system.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...esto/53060.htm
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
mr48chev

Vertical between the top center of the front of the bed and the bottom of the indent / body seam I am going to say that there is no exact measurement that it absolutely hits out there.

Mine is way off so there is no reason to go out and measure it as it is no help but I'm hoping that a few folks will go out measure vertically between those points, post their measurements and you can average them and get just about as close as you can get.

As far as the bed being away from the back of the cab, if you can slide your fingers down between them you are pretty close to as good as it gets. Just don't do that while you are riding down the road in the back of the truck, that can be pretty painful when the truck goes over uneven ground.

Remember as it shows in this drawing from the GM Heritage center 53 Chevy truck pfd all the lines of cab/running board and bed have to be parallel with each other to be correct. No droopy diaper look with the back of the bed to make the back end look lower as I see on way too many S-10 swap trucks.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #4
NorCalGal

Here you go, this is the measurement I’m looking for.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
dsraven

yup, well put mr48, line up those body lines.
it is important to start with the cab situated on new or good useable mounts and at the correct body to frame dimensions so the rest of the body parts line up correctly. some of the AD trucks had a spring set up for a rear cab mount i believe so one would need to ensure that the cab is sitting level like it should be as a start. that goes for any build, get the foundation right first. sometimes I will use a laser like construction guys use to get things level or simply a string line held with magnets at each end of the body. this is so I can ensure the lines are parallel as I go. I am doing a frame swap currently so it is important to check as I go. some bright masking tape can also be placed on the body lines here and there to help check for parallel or level. it just looks bad if you end up with the droopy diaper look or parts that are not at the same height/level. the tape method works pretty well on trucks with panels that aren't really flat or in the same plane as other panels. if parked on a flat floor and with the frame levelled to the floor the body lines should be level as well, if thats how the body lines are supposed to be for that series. for instance, if the cab floor is level then the box floor should usually also be level. the dimensional drawings usually show the dimensions of the cab height from the ground, the frame height and the box height from the ground. it is some arithmetic but one can figure out the heights that way and get things close, then do some leveling to get things right. the rear fenders also have some wiggle room built into their mounting as well. something to check also, once the cab and box is levelled up as a unit.
was there a reason you need those particular dimensions? is something not adding up as you assemble? you are doing a stock frame on your build, correct?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:13 PM   #6
mr48chev

I'd say that she just wants to make sure it is right. I have never seen a measurement that was claimed to be perfect in that if you don't have that measurement you need to shim your blocks or you need to cut down your blocks.

The correct height off the frame means that the bottom of the bed isn't pushing down on the filler panels between the bed and the running board nor is there a gap between the filler panels and the bottom of the bed sides that is very visible.

I'm thinking that if five people give her the measurement all will be with in 1 inch or less but won't be exact.

Lets see those measurements, Bonus points for photos of the tape measure or yard stick doing the measuring.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #7
cmayna

Based upon the dimensional arrows above, from top of front bed panel to bottom of lower cab horizontal line, I get 10.25"
cmayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #8
NorCalGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmayna View Post
Based upon the dimensional arrows above, from top of front bed panel to bottom of lower cab horizontal line, I get 10.25"
Awesome cmayna exactly what I needed.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:21 AM   #9
nvrdone

just for grins i just checked mine. it's at 9 7/8" I suspect thats a bit short. My rear cab mounts may need some adjustment because the back of the cab can rub on the filler panel above the running board.
Another point to check would be the distance between the frame and the floor at the rear mount. I can check that tomorrow if it would help.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:42 AM   #10
NorCalGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
just for grins i just checked mine. it's at 9 7/8" I suspect thats a bit short. My rear cab mounts may need some adjustment because the back of the cab can rub on the filler panel above the running board.
Another point to check would be the distance between the frame and the floor at the rear mount. I can check that tomorrow if it would help.
Thanks nvrdone, this gives me a ball park to work with.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #11
cmayna

The thickness of the wooden blocks holding up the front of the bed may very well have an impact on this dimension.
cmayna is offline   Reply With Quote