The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2016, 01:47 AM   #1
82sdale

Air Conditioning Question

I've read the FAQ and the treads but still have a question for an air conditioning guru.

I have a 1982 Scottsdale with stock a/c and power steering. It's been 'converted' to R134a but I can't swear to what the previous owner did or didn't do. It has a stock R4 pancake compressor, on the drivers side, which
sounds like it's about to die. So for a winter project, I plan to upgrade the engine bay components.

I am going to keep the in cab stock so I'm not looking at any of the after market ac kits. I have a new Sanden 508, Accumulator, and orifice tube. I plan to use a Alan Grove 119L bracket (unless somebody has a better idea), and the big questions...

I need to know about the condenser. I hear the parallel flow type is the way to go. But since my truck came with R12, it has a tube and fin. Is there a 'bolt on' parallel flow condenser out there that will fit my truck? I prefer a stock GM component - maybe for a later model, that I can buy at the local parts house in any town USA, so I can replace if needed.

My second question is about hoses. Does anyone sell hoses that will mate up from a Sanden to this new condenser? All I've been able to find have one end crimped on and the other end has to be cut and fitted. I'd like to buy something common and already put together.

I've done some looking and I found this link:

http://ck5.com/forums/threads/r4-to-...umbers.321754/

One of the guys used the following on his blazer which should be close to my truck.

Compressor was a CO4628C, which crosses out to a Sanden 709 style compressor.

AC Delco 156960 Condenser
FOUR SEASONS 33190 A/C Accumulator
FOUR SEASONS 26739 A/C System O-Ring & Gasket Kit
FOUR SEASONS 38623 A/C Orifice Tube

I understand most of what he did but the AC Delco 156960 Condenser looks to be a stretch to put in my truck. From the picture, the AC Delco 156960 Condenser connections appear to be at the bottom while mine are at the top. There's an indention in my radiator support where my stock condenser lines come out and there isn't an indention at the bottom where lines could come out.

The link below shows a condenser that appears to be more like the one I have. However, I haven't been able to determine if its the parallel flow type and I haven't found a local source for it either.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...DI7013616.html

My last question, for now, is how would one calculate the amount of R134a needed for this upgrade?

Any thoughts..?? Thanks in advance...
82sdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:02 AM   #2
RUN GMC

Re: Air Conditioning Question

The ratio is 1.8lb r134 to 2.0lb of r12............when i did mine is was 40.2 oz of r134 18 oz + 12 oz +12 oz = 42oz so I just left a little in the last can......and mine throws snowballs......Im using the old stock equipment just changed out expansion valve(T38902 automatic adjusting oriface tube), accumalator, and flush out system with a/c spray from Advance Auto.....then I replaced all o-rings and the 2 a/c hoses new ones from Rockauto....pulled vacuum and charged been working fine for 3 years......when ever the old compressor fails I will upgrade but it hasnt yet........I didnt change condenser but when it comes to r134 to key to it cooling good is air movement over the condenser so an electric fan set up is also a good upgrade but mine works with the clutch fan you can tell the difference on a very hot in a traffic jam but all other times she does just fine.....my temp gun show 48 degrees coming out of the vents....I run it on the low fan setting because it doesnt take long to cool a truck cab or at least mine.............

http://www.vintageair.com/DownloadsS...ng%20guide.pdf

Last edited by RUN GMC; 08-05-2016 at 06:15 AM.
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
Katrina/10

Factory air system will work fine, too.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #4
wildwilly4x4

My '90 model replacement condenser was parallel flow. It was a bit smaller than the original, but was easy to retrofit in the core support. Tube locations came out like stock on mine, but I imagine yours may be a bit different setup than mine was. I built custom lines for mine anyways due to an 8.1 swap. The factory aluminum liquid tube going to the evaporator worked fine with my condenser.
wildwilly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote