The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2009, 04:44 AM   #1
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

Questions a 99 GMC with a 6.5 Diesel

I am looking for a diesel truck for my DD. Having owned a number of small and big block chevy's, I am down right tired of the lousy mileage. The 8mpg I got from my 454 powered '77 Sub is just too painful. The 10mpg from the 427 powered '76 LWB 4x4 wasn't much better. I had an extended cab Ranger as my DD until I got t-boned. After that experience, I decided no more small trucks, I need full size and more metal. In looking for something to fit the bill, most folks think their used "newer" high mileage trucks are made of gold.

In my quest I have come across a 99 with a 6.5 diesel. I know that the desired block castings are for May 99-on. What do I need to be aware of with year truck with this type of engine?
I have never owned a diesel before, I have driven them for work, but I have never owned or wrenched on one personally. I have been searching the forum recently and am aware of the boat anchor comments, sure I would love an LBZ powered truck or any duramax engine, but for what I'm getting from insurance, that is not in the cards. While I would love to do a swap into a 71 or 72 4x4 Suburban, it's a little tough with use of one arm right now.

What do I need to look for in buying a used 1999 GM diesel truck?

*I should also ask about the 95ish 6.5L Suburbans, any input or sage advice?

Last edited by Sub-versive; 12-27-2009 at 04:45 AM.
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

Re: Questions a 99 GMC with a 6.5 Diesel

I suppose it would have been wiser to ask a general question about buying used diesels in General Discussion. I'll give it a couple of days, then ask a mod to move this or something.
I know, I can't help my impatience sometimes.
I am getting stir crazy in this house. My insurance covers a rental, but I am in no shape to drive right now. So I spend a good chunk of time looking at classifieds, craigslist, and here. I apologize for rambling.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Boog
laying low

You're stir crazyness is completely understandable. This board doesn't get much action sometimes but I'm sure one of the diesel owners will pop in with some wisdom for you before long. Hope your recovery is good and speedy.
As you might expect you will find some who think the 6.5 diesel is absolutely the best thing since sliced bread and then some will tell you about how they've had nothing but trouble out of their's, worthless piece of iron and never own another one. In the interest of getting you some info on diesels quickly I'll point you to this diesel site.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

Thank you for the link.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

You know even after tons of reading, I don't know enough about diesels to feel comfortable buying one used. I don't know anyone knowledgeable enough either. So I think I'll say eff it, 'cause I really need not to worry about it breaking down on me right now. I still want one, but when I know more and have more time to invest in it. So I'm eyeballing some nice gas trucks, at least they're small blocks.
Good news though, doc says I'm healing nicely, I start physical therapy next week. Woo-hoo. I'm pushing hard to get back to full use before 12 weeks.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Boog
laying low

Yeah some guys buy a diesel truck more for the novelty than anything else. I also have looked hard at buying one myself but mostly for the towing ability of it. We only have a camper to tow occasionally so I really cannot justify buying the diesel and drive it everyday. There are pros and cons to both gas and diesels. When a diesel breaks down it can cost plenty for repairs and the constant higher cost of fuel makes it undiserable too. Now if you tow/haul a lot it's just the thing as you would be burning a lot of gas trying to do the same job and the diesel engine will/can last a lot longer.
Good news on the recovery.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

Thank you.
I have wanted one for awhile, when I was a self-employed general contractor, I really should have had one. I was one job away of having the cash to go get a new one, pay in full no financing. The SoCal real estate market dropped, banks revoked home equity loans, and business went into the toilet.
I have wanted one to haul tools and materials, pull a dump trailer, and get good mileage while doing these things. Now I will work for someone else until things turn around, so mileage(mpg) was my main focus at this time.

Thank you for your help.

I will someday do something like this:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=6.5+diesel

or this:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=290922

Old 01-03-2010, 12:56 AM   #8
BIG-AL

I know gm did some funky stuff in 99-2000 inj. Pumps. I own 1 now. Pump is junk,$2000 to replace.

95-down was more reliable inj. Pump.

I've owned a few of both. I loved my 92 6.5 after i changed the heads to an aftermarket. Never had a problem after that.
2000 3RD DOOR 4X4 6.0
2000 2DR. 2WD, SHORTIE 4.3
1995 3/4 TON 2DR.4X4 PLOW TRUCK
1995 S-10 BOGGER 44'S
1994 S-10 BOGGER 40'S
1996 ZR2 REAR ENG. BOGGER 40'S
1993 YJ 454 39 PITBULLS ECT,ECT 20 IN ALL
BIG-AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
packers05

I have a 95 6.5td and It will pull harder than a tbi big block and it burns used oils mixed with fuel cant beat that
packers05 is offline   Reply With Quote