The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Testing / Replacing Ignition Switch

Hi Guys,

I did a search for information on this, but too much dealt with the actual key cylinder and not the switch.

I continue to have issues with no power to the starter solenoid wire when I try to start the truck. I found a fusible link, but it has contunuity. I suspect the igntion switch may be at fault. What's the simpest way of accessing this switch? I understand it is mounted under the dash, on the steering column (mine's a tilt), but I can't seem to locate it.

Does anyone have any photos or step-by-step of this procedure? And how do I go about sesting the switch?

Thanks.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Re: Testing / Replacing Ignition Switch

Disconnect your battery when you do this. Remove the bolts under the column and drop it down into the seat. This will get you access. If you don't disconnect the battery you're in jeopardy of starting the truck in gear! I've seen it happen and the truck drove it's self backwards and crashed into the wall! That was on a newer 88 up truck, anyway, here at the college when I worked in the auto shop.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #3
sjarrett71

Yeah, drop the steering column a little bit and you will be able to find it. It should be on top of the steering column and will have a metal rod running into the top of it that is actuated by the ignition cylinder.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

A hint here. BEFORE you take the switch off, locate the TWO rods comming down from the shift bowl and wrap them to the colunm with masking tape so they don't slide out of position. ESPECIALLY the dimmer switch rod. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
gezn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilverado View Post
Hi Guys,

I did a search for information on this, but too much dealt with the actual key cylinder and not the switch.

I continue to have issues with no power to the starter solenoid wire when I try to start the truck. I found a fusible link, but it has contunuity. I suspect the igntion switch may be at fault. What's the simpest way of accessing this switch? I understand it is mounted under the dash, on the steering column (mine's a tilt), but I can't seem to locate it.

Does anyone have any photos or step-by-step of this procedure? And how do I go about sesting the switch?

Thanks.

I just spent hours dealing with the same problem on wednesday
It doesn't help that my '76 K10 has a frankenstein wiring harness, part of it is original and part of it is an early '80s blade-fuse harness
It was good work anyway, I extracted the hanging remnants of at least two half-arse radio hookups and cleaned up some scary-looking splices and hanging scotchblocks
*Also* test the neutral-safety switch, mine worked fine for the backup lights but the other function was T.U., it's *unsafe* but you can test it by jumpering the two terminals on the probably-purple leads going to the NSS, you can save yourself a *lot* of aggravation if that's your problem too
The neutral-safety switch is mounted on top of the column but it's down next to the firewall where you can get at it if you're flexible, the ignition switch is right behind the gauges and you're going to have to drop the column to get at it
gezn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:17 AM   #6
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Well, thanks again for all the suggestions here. Just thought I would update and "close" this thread...

On Friday after reinstalling the starter that "tested" ok, the truck fired right up. Then I tried the key again and nothing! After rapping on the solenoid (I had tried this earlier), it fired again.

So, I spent the $120 on a brand new Hitachi starter (not rebuilt), and all has been great since. In fact, the truck has never turned over as rapidly as it does now - - that's one healthy starter.

So, thanks again for all the help, but it looks like the starter was the problem after all.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
1975stepside
Stepside Fanatic!

Well, hey, I am trying to find the right key cylinder to replace MY ignition switch (just the key cylinder part). If you have some useful links that you found, PLEASE post 'em on here so we can use 'em! Thanks.
1975stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
ChevyTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975stepside View Post
Well, hey, I am trying to find the right key cylinder to replace MY ignition switch (just the key cylinder part). If you have some useful links that you found, PLEASE post 'em on here so we can use 'em! Thanks.
These sites won’t tell you which key cylinder you need, but here are some steering column sites with photos that may or may not be helpful. These are the links I post when people have a loose tilt column and they show how to repair loose tilt columns, but they have good photos of some steps you will take.

http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html

http://elcaminocentral.com/article95.html

Looks like on this site he did the quick fix and did not take it apart far enough to tighten all four fasteners.
http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

Exploded View of a tilt column.
http://www.nastyz28.com/tech/e-tiltcol.html

Older car but good photos
http://buickperformance.com/tiltstee...lumnwobble.htm
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
bucannon
Salty Sailor

Im trying to replace my switch now and the column wont drop more than a couple inches??

Savannah, Georgia
bucannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
bucannon
Salty Sailor

Question Re: Testing / Replacing Ignition Switch

okay, figured it out i was just being to gentle, its sitting on the seat now.

I got the bolts off of the switch but I cannot figure out how to disconnect the wiring harness.

Does anyone have a few pictures of the connector so I know where the tabs are

Savannah, Georgia
bucannon is offline   Reply With Quote