The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
dcasalena

wiper motor popping fuses

Background:
bought the '72 in January, all electrical was a mess, front and tail lights, wipers, heater fan, nothing worked. But it started and ran.
So just finished install a complete wire harness from AAW. Everything works again except 10Amp blade fuse pops when the wipers are turned on. Wipers move about 1/2 way up the windshield before it pops. Don't know how long it's been since they worked before it was mine.
Can I put in a 15Amp fuse, WD40 everything and not put the truck, me, and precious passengers at risk?
dcasalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: wiper motor popping fuses

The maximum rated amperage for an 18 gauge AWG wire is 16. The yellow wire that feeds the wiper motor is an 18 gauge so you could use a 15 amp fuse. The wiper motor is probably drawing too much load for the 10 amp fuse because it is binding or the blade arms are binding.

If there was a short to ground the fuse would most likely blow before any movement of the arms. If the 15 amp fuse blows after you lubricate everything then you should not exceed the 15 amp fuse, and fi the wipers work try going back to the rated fuse.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
dcasalena

Okay, thanks for the info. I suspect the lube and a few rotations will help reduce the load.
Cheers!
dcasalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
cableguy0

Your best bet is to pull the cowl off and check the linkage. It can and will bind. It especially does it when they wipers arent moved for a long time. I agree the motor isnt shorted or the fuse would blow as soon as you turned the switch on.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote