The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2017, 01:44 AM   #1
cfan10

Cool TBI Fuel Pump?

Got it started tonight, but only using starter fluid which really scares the hell out of me...saw a fire from that once on a racecar...anyway it dies almost immediately. Fuel pump turns on, I can hear it. I even tried it hotwired fuel pump relay to the battery and the pump stays running, but still kills when started.
I have a spark tester and it is getting spark. It does the same thing with three different fuel pump relays.
I put my finger on each injector and fuel comes out with the key to on position or when trying to start. What am I missing here?

As always many thanks in advance for advice/experience! It is greatly appreciated!

1990 gmc suburban 350 tbi/700r4
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Warrens69GMC

Re: TBI Fuel Pump?

What is your oil pressure?
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
pontgta

Might have to drop the tank. And make sure all hoses are still good inside the tank. If the starter fluid starts it, and then shuts off, then i would think its the pump or hoses.
pontgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #4
cfan10

Cool Re: TBI Fuel Pump?

I cut into the floor, fuel pump has a burn spot on it and a zip tie...certain that isn't supposed to be there. Outside hoses are pretty rough.

How can I actually test the fuel pump to make sure it is the culprit? Thanks!
Attached Images

Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:17 AM   #5
rfmaster

Pump might be working but if you have clogged inline filter you might be fighting fuel flow issues. Check inline fuel filter - typically mounted on a frame rail.

It looks like some one have replaced OE pump with a replacement unit. You can connect a fuel line to the outlet port and route it into a good size gas canister. In few minutes of running a healthy pump should be able to transfer most of the fuel from tank into canister. Just be careful - you're dealing with gas!!!!

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
pontgta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfmaster View Post
Pump might be working but if you have clogged inline filter you might be fighting fuel flow issues. Check inline fuel filter - typically mounted on a frame rail.

It looks like some one have replaced OE pump with a replacement unit. You can connect a fuel line to the outlet port and route it into a good size gas canister. In few minutes of running a healthy pump should be able to transfer most of the fuel from tank into canister. Just be careful - you're dealing with gas!!!!

Exactly how i tested mine, I disconnected the hose near filter and dumped it in a 5 gallon bucket. You kinda need 2 people or extend the hose out , so you can see fuel coming out.

Also make sure all the connections are solid, since i see someone already did some splicing on the pump.
pontgta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #7
andyh1956

I would have to go check in my book but I "THINK" terminal "B" on the DLC is for the fuel pump, so you can run a hot wire clipped to something in the fuse panel to terminal B & the pump should run until you decide to unhook it.
But look in your service book & double check my terminal selection.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote