The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #1
Mattchu60

I keep messing up with drop coils

Heres the story - I have an 87' R10 short box. I had previously cut one coil off the stock springs, but I never liked that idea as its a 30 year old spring that I feel could fail someday.

I also felt it was a touch lower than I wanted, I have drop spindles as well, and that put the top of my front tires about even with the bottom of the fender lip.

Always heard that a cut factory coil was about equal to a 2" drop spring. Ok, so I go out about a year back and bought a set of Belltech 2" drop coils, I figure that the factory springs have sagged some over the years so this will raise it a touch. I could not get them to install, the pigtails would not line up to the factory locations, it wasnt even close and the bottom was not held in place and was moving all over. (I must have some mutant C10 as I contacted Belltech and they said no one else has this issue). I sent them back. I did still install them and got a feel for the height, and it was actually almost the same as the factory springs with a coil removed. I put the stockers back in and forgot about it for a while.

So then I ordered a set of Mcgaughys (spelling) 1" springs a couple weeks back, I figured that the 2" was the same, so lets try a bit higher. Installed them today, and wowza, shes sitting even lower! Now the tires are actually up into the fender well a touch. I measured and I went from 28" from the floor to the lip, to 27.5" after the 1" drops are in. They are more like a 2.5" drop spring.

What the heck!

Rather than me continuing to mess around with springs, anyone have some input on a spring that will actually drop my truck 1"? I want to stay away from CPP as I have had bad experience with their stuff in the past.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: I keep messing up with drop coils

Are you sure you are getting these springs “clocked” correctly on the top?
There is a “D” shaped loop in the spring pocket that the spring has to seat around.
Don’t worry about the bottom of the spring.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:16 PM   #3
Nick_R_23

Just go back to stock and cut out 1/2 coil to get a 1” drop. You actually raise the spring rate some by doing so, and it helps with resistance against bottoming out. IMO, it also provides a superior ride compared to aftermarket drop springs.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:02 PM   #4
Mattchu60

I dont think I can do a 1/2 coil on mine - the bottom spring pocket seems to only allow the coil to be positioned in that exact spot - has a depression where the spring sits that sort of locks it into place.

I do have it in the "D" on the top correctly - I made sure of that when I installed.

Not sure how to post a picture anymore (used to use photobucket but no longer have) or I'd post some.

Anyone use a western chassis spring? Any thoughts on those?

I dont feel like a 1" drop spring and a 2" drop spindle should be dropping it this much.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:17 AM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Don’t worry about how the spring sets in the control arm. Just get the top correct.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

I had the same problem with the Belltech springs about a month ago. Sent em back cause they would line up at the top. I have NEVER had an issue with a spring not wanting to set in the "pocket" at the top.

Ended up cutting the stock coils.

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:35 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattchu60 View Post
Heres the story - I have an 87' R10 short box. I had previously cut one coil off the stock springs, but I never liked that idea as its a 30 year old spring that I feel could fail someday.

I also felt it was a touch lower than I wanted, I have drop spindles as well, and that put the top of my front tires about even with the bottom of the fender lip.

Always heard that a cut factory coil was about equal to a 2" drop spring. Ok, so I go out about a year back and bought a set of Belltech 2" drop coils, I figure that the factory springs have sagged some over the years so this will raise it a touch. I could not get them to install, the pigtails would not line up to the factory locations, it wasnt even close and the bottom was not held in place and was moving all over. (I must have some mutant C10 as I contacted Belltech and they said no one else has this issue). I sent them back. I did still install them and got a feel for the height, and it was actually almost the same as the factory springs with a coil removed. I put the stockers back in and forgot about it for a while.

So then I ordered a set of Mcgaughys (spelling) 1" springs a couple weeks back, I figured that the 2" was the same, so lets try a bit higher. Installed them today, and wowza, shes sitting even lower! Now the tires are actually up into the fender well a touch. I measured and I went from 28" from the floor to the lip, to 27.5" after the 1" drops are in. They are more like a 2.5" drop spring.

What the heck!

Rather than me continuing to mess around with springs, anyone have some input on a spring that will actually drop my truck 1"? I want to stay away from CPP as I have had bad experience with their stuff in the past.
Purchase some new Moog coils for your application & cut a coil off. New springs = no worries about a 30yr old spring "failing" although I've never heard of a coil that was not heated w/a torch or subjected to severe/extended road salt conditions suddenly failing.

C10's had multiple spring rate options so you could get the new springs w/a slightly higher rate as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
Wikid61
Post Whore

^^Agreed w/MOOG. Rob over at NO LIMINT says those new, 3/4 TON springs cut 1 wrap will net 2 Inches & has a firmer handling ride. Will not drop, settle,
Wikid61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:04 AM   #9
LT7A

Mattcho60, if I'm reading this correctly, your springs need to seat in your upper control arms and your lower control arms. And you want a one inch drop. So cutting a half coil off of replacement stock springs to get a 1 inch drop is not an option because it won't seat correctly. Have I got this right? So I think you are still hoping to hear from people who have used drop springs, at 1 inch, not manufactured by Belltech or CPP. Have I got this right? Just trying to help. My lowering springs are by Belltech and seem to work fine. So, I'm of no use to you, haha. but there's got to be somebody out there running Western Chassis 1 inch springs or another alternative. Good luck.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:50 AM   #10
photo-tom

The top spring seat in the crossmember has been damaged/deformed from a PO not seating the spring correctly and bottoming out. Now I'm in the same odd position as you where the top of the spring doesn't seat correctly, and now my driver side (damaged side) is sitting 1" lower than the passenger.

I've ended up trimming the passenger spring to try and even it out.
photo-tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #11
Mattchu60

I "solved" my issues by getting some 1/2" coil spacers. In combination of the drop springs and these spacers, I got the height I wanted.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #12
LT7A

Quote:
I "solved" my issues by getting some 1/2" coil spacers. In combination of the drop springs and these spacers, I got the height I wanted.
Interesting. Where did you get those? I need to get like a quarter inch spring pad for another vehicle.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:07 PM   #13
Mattchu60

I got mine of Ebay. I think they were part number 1513.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:32 PM   #14
C101972

I have a set of CPP stock height springs, I used these for mock up only. I know you said that you don’t like CPP, my whole truck is basically CPP. Front and rear suspension, brakes and sway bars. Granted mine is not road ready yet, but my friend has the same setup in his truck with 4 years of use and it works awesome. Thanks Chuck
Posted via Mobile Device
C101972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:58 PM   #15
LT7A

Quote:
I got mine of Ebay. I think they were part number 1513.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #16
RWJJR

MOOG big block coils , with one coil cut off will come out perfect
RWJJR is offline   Reply With Quote