The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM   #1
MikeB

Video on oil and gas additives

Lake Speed, Jr. on additives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAGT5inQScE

Fans of Seafoam and other magic elixirs, get ready to be let down.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Video on oil and gas additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Lake Speed, Jr. on additives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAGT5inQScE

Fans of Seafoam and other magic elixirs, get ready to be let down.
Personally, all I've ever used was injector cleaner, good to know that's a good idea, but really then, I need to use it more often.

Every time I hear someone say you have to add zinc to oil I cringe. Not because it's necessarily wrong, but I decided against it, 71 402.

That's the second of two study's I've see with the message don't add to engine oil. The first praises Mobil 1 5-30 full synthetic, so that's all my Chevy gets.

Funny, I noticed my engine wasn't quite purring as remembered, after my first oil change from original Valvoline Durablend 20-50 to Mobil 1.
The engine loved that Durablend incidentally, but they make it differently now, so I moved on.

Anyway, dollars to donuts the engine anomaly was because the Mobil and remnants of DB was less than a desirable mix. I only ran the truck in that state a few miles at most, due the truck underwent a restoration. Since then the oils been changed two more times over an entire 250-300 miles (cough). The engine seems real happy to me.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM   #3
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Personally, all I've ever used was injector cleaner, good to know that's a good idea...

Every time I hear someone say you have to add zinc to oil I cringe.
Same here. I've used Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner a few times. But I've always thought adding additives to motor oil that already has an additive package was not a good idea. The tests in the video showed it was worse than I thought! The only one I've ever used was Comp Cams #59 break-in lube, but lately I've used only Driven break-in oil along with their HVL assembly oil.

Just remembered that I also used STP on a few occasions on high mileage engines when I was in my teens and twenties. I forget what the video said about it.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:02 AM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I see that he used various oils and various additives, but did not use every oil with every additive. I suspect that the problems aren't as big as he makes them out to be. I'm definitely not equipped to prove him wrong, but I'd take this video with a grain of salt.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote