The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old Today, 05:39 PM   #1
Rufas

Another Radiator question

I have a 1970 GMC with the original 4 core Harrison radiator. The radiator is in good shape. But the Arizona summer temps are typically between 110⁰ and 120⁰. The 4 core isn't happy idling in these temps.

So I'm considering replacing it. I've researched here and now totally confused. There are so many options brass/copper, aluminum, 2 core, 3 cure, 4 core, 5 core, fin spacing and the list goes on and on.

Fit also seems to be an issue, especially the lower rubber radiator pads. What is the best bang for the buck. I'm not crazy rich so my budget is about $500. I'm not worried about keeping the original appearance of the radiator. I just want something that works.

Who has experience with replacement radiators? What style radiator can handle the summer temps here?

TIA
350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:59 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Another Radiator question

A four-row in good condition should be able to handle your high Arizona temps, if everything else is up to snuff. Tell us more about your cooling system. Does it have a shroud that fits? And a fan that properly fits the shroud? What type of fan? Is there a coolant recovery tank and a radiator cap for a closed system? A few pics might be helpful.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:05 PM   #3
RustyPile

You say the radiator is in good shape?? Before you drop $500 on another radiator, you need to do some troubleshooting.. Things to check/service:

(1) Remove radiator and have it cleaned and pressure tested..
(2) Flush cooling system.
(3) Replace thermostat and coolant.
(4) Check hoses and belts, replace as necessary.
(5) If equipped with a fan clutch, make sure it's operating properly.

The radiator is not the only component in the cooling system. If you arbitrarily just replace it and this is not the problem, you may have just wasted that money. Throwing parts at a problem, hoping something "sticks" is not a wise approach.. Find the root cause of the overheating and repair it properly.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:36 PM   #4
72SB

OP. Historically the 4 row radiator was the heavy duty one to have. However, one with 2 rows but 1 1/4"-1 1/2" rows vs 4 smaller ones cools better.

heating up at idle indicates not enough fan and or not the proper shroud for the fan. The 19" 7 blade fan would be what I would get if you have fewer blades than 7. The fan blades should be 1/2 in/out of a fan shroud for it to "pull" air through radiator optimally.

Old radiators may "look" good, but the cores are partially clogged considerably reducing its ability to dissipate heat. Getting them boiled and cleaned is one option but IMHO a 50 year old radiator repair is throwing money at an old part.

If you have an IR heat gun, while truck is at operating temp, scan the front surface of radiator to confirm it is = temp all around. Often the lower section clogs and is basically not doing anything reducing the cooling ability considerably.

Replacement radiators, well you will get several opinions. Typically, you get what you pay for. The higher $ USA made ones, IMHO, are the better ones. With that said I have had a Cold Case in my 67 Camaro for a few years now without issue. The price point of the CC is well within your budget. Four Seasons on the other hand is a high $ very high-quality radiator but would likely be more than your $500 budget, mine was $600 several years ago.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:51 PM   #5
weq92f

I had the same creeping temps at idle in the heat of summer (100F+) w/AC going full blast. It was an airflow problem, not my copper/brass 4 core original radiator. Fixed it with more airflow.

Have a look at the Champion radiators, CC369 comes to mind, several members here have used them with success.

Hth,

-Kevin
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is online now   Reply With Quote