The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2024, 11:02 AM   #1
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

What do you like about the State you live in. Done with Ca

Governor Grusome has Ca so F’ed up I can’t hardly stand it anymore. It’s even caused heated discussion between the wife and I. 2 of our 5 Kids are still here so wife wants to stay. We have kids in Arizona, Mississippi and Louisiana, Wife doesn’t like the weather in those states

What do you like best about the State you live in
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 02:35 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: What do you like about the State you live in. Done with Ca

Can't say that I blame you, not one bit. But I'm gonna go against the grain and tell you what I like about California.

I live in a small town in the far northern part of the state. Our county is a bit remote & isolated and has clean fresh air (except during wildfires) clean water, no cities, no freeways, four seasons but a mild climate. Our town got its first & only traffic light a few years back. It's just a short walk up the street to the trails that I put a few miles on nearly every morning. More likely to see wildlife than people out there. We've been here 48 years and plan to stay.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 02:58 PM   #3
tutone

Ive been to CA a few times. Last time was 1977. I probably wouldn't recognize it politically, or physically. My maternal grandparents moved there in the late 50s from here in KY. They moved back and retired here in 1979. Even then I could tell that they were fed up with the west coast. They never went back. I have lived within 20 miles of my childhood homes my entire life. I am a hunter, fisherman and generally an outdoor person. Its hot in the summer, but not unbearable. Winters are mostly mild with a few exceptions. Politically it is a red state with a Dem governor. We do wear shoes, we do have teeth, and not everybody makes moon shine. Taxes are low, healthcare is satisfactory, and places to visit are endless. 10 hour drive to the Gulf Coast, and 12 hours to the Atlantic. Housing, yes we have houses, are cheap compared to Calif prices. My neighbors have listed their house in the high 200s with 1.5 acres. Not a great place, but a really good low crime area where we are. You just better love to mow grass.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 03:43 PM   #4
Sheepdip

Like Stocker says there are some good points about Kalifornia. We too are very rural by choice to separate ourselves from all that nasty stuff you see on the news. Not that it's non existent just very rare. We are too old and too entrenched to up and move so we will ride it out.

One option would be to separate yourselves from the bay area your in now, to a rural area.
The good news is Newsome terms out in 2 years, the bad news is we could get worse.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:24 PM   #5
LS short box

We live west central MN. Closest bigger town is about 20,000 population wise. Get's busy in the summer due to all the lakes but calms down after labor day. We don't have a lake home. 34 years ago we bought a house with 15 acres and never looked back. Lake homes in the area start at about 500K. We do some fishing but mostly boat rides around the different lakes. Our area is safe as any area can be. Neighbors look out for each other. I would say 90% of the folks have firearms in the house.
Lots of good public hunting areas. Deer/waterfowl/turkeys and upland birds. Pic of tom turkey this spring off our patio. Another pic of a buck a week before the opening of firearms deer season.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:48 PM   #6
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Lots of Californians have moved to Idaho where I live now,, I too moved from a rural area in westerrn Oregon to here in Nampa Idaho in 2012 , The problem this area is having now is it has grown to big for its britches as to say,, To many people not enough roads ,.. It is not all Californians that have moved here as its from a lot of states but mostly from California.And it seems politics from California is taking hold here some .
Old 05-24-2024, 04:48 PM   #7
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

If you think she might tolerate winter I’ll spill the beans about what I like up here, which is a lot.

On a related note…
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 05:01 PM   #8
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Unhappy Re: What do you like about the State you live in. Done with Ca

Steve,
i'm right there with you, we aint the small town we were when my parents moved here back in 1967 when i was 8 years old. seems like it gets worse every day with all the homeless, drugs , crime etc. my dad is 93 now and nearly every day says "if i wasn't so damn old i'd get the f&*k out of this $hit hole". he still has his house in susanville, ca. but it's too cold for him in the winter and i'm too broke down to cut firewood anymore. hunting up there used to be awesome but between the wolves, bears and mountain lions deer are an endangered species now. so i guess i'll die here in this hellhole.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:21 PM   #9
best view

I was born in ca but escaped, i live in west coast of Florida in winter half mile from the beach i bought in 2021 , 3 bedroom 2 bath block house beautiful for 175 thousand went through 2 major hurricanes didn’t faze it , property taxes 2100.00 a yr includes trash pickup highest a/c in the summer is 46.00 a month set a 78 degrees the bad is happy hour will start a 11 in morning but will end by 4 ,beers usually at 3 to 4 then go to 5 ,and being on a beach with a band playing it’s hard to leave , ok then nh in the summer also 3 bed 2 bath in the woods same size house taxes 4 thou ,electric 80 month ,bring trash to the dump have a boat slip on the lake that you can drink the water out of lake . There is no reason why you would stay there unless you love being told what to do
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:51 PM   #10
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Mississippi gulf coast is OK. Great people. I miss my mountains/hills, but I can visit TN and such easily enough and don't have to deal with snow.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:13 PM   #11
67C10Step

All I will say is Arkansas is horrible. Don’t even think about moving here. 😁
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:53 PM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 CST Short Wide View Post
Governor Grusome has Ca so F’ed up I can’t hardly stand it anymore. It’s even caused heated discussion between the wife and I. 2 of our 5 Kids are still here so wife wants to stay. We have kids in Arizona, Mississippi and Louisiana, Wife doesn’t like the weather in those states

What do you like best about the State you live in
I don't mean to bag on the State. Yes I do I can say I border it, and spend almost half my time there. Without their taxes, I don't even want their gas.

In a nutshell Ca. is not peaceful less God's country and some beaches, in fact it's otherwise a )*&^%*&.. Man, I had to go to Ca. to get ripped off, it's to be expected, you should see the things they've stolen from my gal's dad. Some heavier than mini grand pianos. Just last weekend a very large piece of art, they removed the fence to do it. Too many rats in the gage man, the govt. and corp. ruining the place. Lock it up or lose it.

I'm in Northern Nevada. It's still nice, but perhaps nearly half the people in my town are California refugees, many looking for a better life and what's left of their sanity. W/O going into politics, I appreciate those who closed the door on that BS. Anyway, it's real nice here, we got mountains, lakes, rivers and all kinds of sanctuary. Tahoe is real close, same with what remains beautiful Ca.

I still remember when California was so nice, loved it there. Unfortunately that was left behind with silicon, global interests such as a big jump for chinese goods. Nevermind the *)(^^(^ border they don't want to control, oh yeah, "we're a sanctuary". For who?
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:59 PM   #13
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
All I will say is Arkansas is horrible. Don’t even think about moving here. 😁
haha scare others away why dont you ?
I will share this ,,if you sell out and buy in Arkansas you will have money to putback in the bank as the cost of living is lower than about anywhere ,because houses cost less that about anywhere ,, there is some things you just have to ignore though I guess Bugs and more Bugs and them Tornados.. all this was my wifes thoughts about moving to Arkansas 12 years ago...
Old 05-24-2024, 08:04 PM   #14
A1971Blazer

I live in the hills of East Tennessee, 30 minute drive to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Low taxes, conservative government, lakes all around.
Yesterday there was a piece on the local news about how the county I live in is the 2nd fastest growing county in the state.
I'm not overly thrilled about that but most people moving here are tired of the BS government over reach in their former state.
The majority are good people.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:22 PM   #15
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Someone reported this. I not seeing an issue yet. Please keep it that way.

I like NC. Not getting political in my re.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:34 PM   #16
72c20customcamper

I love the area I live in but with any state there are things that could be better .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:43 PM   #17
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
haha scare others away why dont you ?
I will share this ,,if you sell out and buy in Arkansas you will have money to putback in the bank as the cost of living is lower than about anywhere ,because houses cost less that about anywhere ,, there is some things you just have to ignore though I guess Bugs and more Bugs and them Tornados.. all this was my wifes thoughts about moving to Arkansas 12 years ago...
First time I ever went to California I could only imagine the heaven on earth the settlers that had crossed the desert in wagons had thought they found.

Arkansas has hot and humid summers. Sometimes brutally hot. The temperature difference between July 4 and Christmas Day can easily be 100 degrees. GOPAPA mentioned bugs. Ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes.

What do I love about it? Really two states in one. South and southeast is flatter Mississippi delta plain. Other than duck hunting it doesn’t do much for me. Southwest to northwest through north central are the Ouachita, Boston, and Ozark mountains. Lots to do outdoors, mainly small to tiny towns, and not overly crowded except in certain places. Cost of living is low but the state hasn’t seen a tax they don’t like for some reason.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:49 PM   #18
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I would say about any southern state, there's good and not good in all of them..
My tops would be Bama, Tenn, Ga,Ms,...
But certainly not near any of our bigger cities..them people are crazy
But we got bugs,humidity, tornadoes, humidity, snakes,humidity hurricanes, humidity

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:03 PM   #19
mongocanfly
Post Whore

On second thought, you probably don't want to ĺive here either
Attached Images

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:21 PM   #20
D.B

Texas, born and raised. Never lived outside of Texas but I have visted California. And since I only visited, I can say it's a beautiful state. But if what I see in the news is true then I do not want anything to do with it, like a few other states.
Texas is great place to live and apparently a lot of people from California think the same thing. It seems everyone new that moves into our area is from there. The houses on my street were selling for approx $250K. Now they are asking $450K to $500K. Because people moving here want a home so bad they will pay $150K to $200K above asking price. It's ridicules, and now our property taxes are doubled. We had some people move because they couldn't afford the taxes.
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:30 PM   #21
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
On second thought, you probably don't want to ĺive here either
AL is actually on top of my list. You just proved why! Haha

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:41 PM   #22
68bowtie

Speaking of bugs… as some have mentioned, California has some beautiful areas. And it’s very geographically diverse. I gree up in a town of 400 people in northern CA with rice fields all around. Let me tell you about mosquitoes and ticks… 35 miles from shopping. It was rural as it gets. Even in my current town of 75k people we’re in a mainly agricultural area which I like. I am 100% intent on heading someplace else though after retirement. We shall see, that’s 20 years away for me, so a lot can change between now and then.

Old 05-24-2024, 11:02 PM   #23
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Thank you All for the input. I understand the concern of some that Ca people are flooding there area but what are we to do. A lot of Ca is very Beautiful but the nicer it is the more expensive it is. I was Born in Iowa but family moved to Bay Area (Concord Ca ) when I was 2 in 1956. We went back to Iowa on vacations at least every other year until I was a teen and I Loved it. Ca has just gotten Sooo expensive I don’t know how some of these young people are doing it. My 2 Sons that still live here have Good jobs but are still struggling living pay check to pay check
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:03 PM   #24
68bowtie

The cost of living is insane! Fuel alone is crazy. I have a good job, but I worry about my kids.

Old 05-24-2024, 11:54 PM   #25
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Go to Hawaii man. Heck, I'd consider it if my family wasn't here. I just visited the State, first time. Kauai Island, here's a few pics of the canyon, 10 minutes between overcast and storm at most. We got out of there very soon after, then came the torrential rain, common on the North side. Beautiful climate, smells so good. It's expensive, but I'll bet it compares to California, and what do you get there short God's country. Or the beach as mentioned above, millions for a house and traffic jams.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote