The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
cerial

35 spline sm465 Flanged output

I know some of the larger trucks and school buses etc. used the sm465 with the larger input. I could be wrong but I think (hope) they used the common 35 spline output flange with the emergency break.

I have been searching all over (online and in yards) trying to find this flange. I can find everything but the flange itself. I am talking about the flange that bolts to the transmission.

From what I have gathered (through diagrams) it looks like the flange may incorporate the u joint right into the flange with a opening large enough for the drive shaft to pass through. I hope I am wrong on this. If anyone can provide a picture to clear this up that would be extremely helpful. Worst case I will machine the u joint area down to end up with a flat and balanced flange.

Does anyone have a source for the flange or any other aftermarket flange that bolts up to the 35 spline output?

I am bolting a 5831A directly to the sm465 in a rigid housing that I wont go on blabber about.
Just know I am stuck until I can get this flange. I expected the 2 ton trucks to have a flange output to allow for the use of a larger u joint and this not to be a issue or the aftermarket to offer some type of flange output for the 35 spline. They offer 1410 yokes but no one has bothered to broach a 35 spline output flange to the best of my knowledge.

I really want to make this happen with a 35 spline sm465 due to the 35 splines availability and the fact I have a few around already. I believe the e break was offered all the way up to the sm465's end of production so there should be a 35 spline flange out there.

Any help is appreciated.
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

Re: 35 spline sm465 Flanged output

I have a 73 C 60 with small block and 465 trans with large E brake on it, I do not wish to sell the output flange at this time but will try to get some good pics of it for you.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote