The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
tj62

Parking brake cable issues

Hey all, I'm finally almost road ready, but want to make sure I can stop if my brakes fail, so I'm working on the parking brake. 62 c10. The handle pulls 3-4 clicks and locks, Ive tried adjusting around the cables to no clicks, 6 clicks, etc so I know from the handle back to the rear all is well.

I took off the drums and noticed the cable inside the housing is loose enough to wiggle around, but with the brake handle pulled tight, the cables outside along the frame are tight, but inside where it is supposed to move the lever to lock it, isn't moving.

I think its in the metal, spiral sleeve that's about 6-8 inches long on the backside of the wheel frame where the cable goes into the housing. i've sprayed BP blaster all in and along it, hit it with a hammer to try to break the rust loose (if that's what's causing it) and I'm lost as to what to do now aside from tearing everything loose and trying to thread a new cable through it.

Would heating it with a torch then knocking it around help loosen it or any other ideas?
tj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Parking brake cable issues

i've removed the cables coiled them up in a bucket and soaked in vinegar a couple days to break down the rust// then removed the inner from outer rinsed both n a bakin soda rinse lubbricated the heck out of them with wheel bearing grease and reassembled cables and have used cable doone like that for many many years without issues
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #3
tj62

Re: Parking brake cable issues

Wow, thanks! I'll give that a shot before going out and buying new lines.
tj62 is offline   Reply With Quote