The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Campbel45

Ugh header problems...

Okay I bought a set of doug thorley 372y headers for my 1971 chevy 4x4. I have angled dart heads and its a manual.

According to their website and the tech guy that I talked to these headers would work with angled heads, manual, and 4x4....tell me if this looks like its okay...

I will be calling doug thorley tomorrow but can anyone tell me some good news or ideas? I bought some hedmans before these and they didnt work out. Everything looks great and has clearance besides the #5 plug I was thinking about putting a dimple in it but even then I'm sure the plug wire would touch, ruin the chrome, and cause air turbulence in that tube.
Campbel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Ugh header problems...

Wack the crap out of it with a bfh!! JK!! LOL!!
Or just find and buy a set of shorty plugs. Accel makes them.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/sear...spark-plug/yes
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
meatwagon83

autozone has the shorty plugs too
Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
cableguy0

Shorty plugs are in your future. If you only have one plug that's too close with angled plug heads consider yourself lucky. Angled plug heads are notoriously bad with header fitment.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
Campbel45

Ah shorter plugs would be great! I think a combination of short plugs, heat shields, and possibly a dimple and I'll be set. I'm running autolite ar3933. How long are those compared to shorty plugs?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Look here in this thread and read on for a few more pages.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthr...=213472&page=7
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
71Dragtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbel45 View Post
Ah shorter plugs would be great! I think a combination of short plugs, heat shields, and possibly a dimple and I'll be set. I'm running autolite ar3933. How long are those compared to shorty plugs?
AR3933, that's a pretty cold plug isn't it, you running a 200 shot of nitrous on that thing? I run AR3934 in my BBC with a 180shot and a lots of timing.
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:43 AM   #8
72blue

I had the same prob. I have canfield aluminum heads w angle plugs and the same headers as you. I had to dimple the heck out if it upon thorleys advise. I never ran the short plugs, but did get sick of trying to keep the wire from burning with no success. I ended up selling the thorleys because of that and also I did not like the way they hung so low below the frame. I have been on the search for headers that clear angle plugs, don't hang so low, and also don't need so much "header attention". My pickup is a 72 short fleet 4x4 with a sb. Let us know if you find some like that.

I'm running the 64 corvette ram horns now.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:51 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Did you look at the thread I posted a link to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blue View Post
I had the same prob. I have canfield aluminum
heads w angle plugs and the same headers as you. I had to dimple the heck out if it upon thorleys advise. I never ran the short plugs, but did get sick of trying to keep the wire from burning with no success. I ended up selling the thorleys because of that and also I did not like the way they hung so low below the frame. I have been on the search for headers that clear angle plugs, don't hang so low, and also don't need so much "header attention". My pickup is a 72 short fleet 4x4 with a sb. Let us know if you find some like that.

I'm running the 64 corvette ram horns now.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
burnin oil

70s corvette headers on my K20. I had to clearence the frame some but they fit other wise. Only downside is the collector is a little close to the front diff. They work on my 400/4spd pretty good. My heads are not angled like yours but have D ports. I feel your pain.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #11
Campbel45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Dragtruck View Post
AR3933, that's a pretty cold plug isn't it, you running a 200 shot of nitrous on that thing? I run AR3934 in my BBC with a 180shot and a lots of timing.
Thats just the plug dart recommended I have yet to run the truck so I doubt those are the plugs I'll stay with.

And CaptainFab after reading through the link it looks like 69830 work with manual transmissions and dont even come close to the shackle. Maybe I should go this route instead of messing with these thorleys. Sad these are nice headers
Old 06-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
geezer#99

Along with shorty plugs you could use some of these.
http://www.cableorganizer.com/insultherm-spark/

I hope you're prepared visually for the change in your shiny chrome headers when they turn all different shades of blue from the heat. Chrome looks nice to start with but ceramic coated ones stay looking good.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
Campbel45

Ya I know the headers will change color. That doesn't bother me that much. I'm debating of trying to make these work or buying other headers. This is expensive trial and error stuff. I still think that if I got a boot on it that it would touch the header. Even with shorties, and heat gear I bet its gonna melt it. Anyone gotten away with them touching? I know they make ceramic boots but I've already got some orange Taylor wires that I really like
Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #14
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Quote:
Okay I bought a set of doug thorley 372y headers for my 1971 chevy 4x4. I have angled dart heads and its a manual.

According to their website and the tech guy that I talked to these headers would work with angled heads, manual, and 4x4.....
Isn't it wonderful the quality of tech support you get these days!!!!

That works just about as well as the statement,,,
Quote:
given enough thrust, pigs can fly just fine
Stick a big enough rocket up their ..... well you get the idea.

I hate to harp on the header quality issue again.... but you got what you paid for. Thorley and Patriot are some of the worst junk out there for headers. If you have to take a hammer to it,, it's NOT the right header and it doesn't 'FIT'.

Thanks to all my brothers that have, and are now serving. This holiday is all about your sacrafices. Without you,, there would be no celebration

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
Campbel45

I had no idea thorley had bad reviews. I tried researching the 372y and there's not much feedback with the 4x4s or guys running angled heads. Or maybe I just didn't look in the right place...

Also I looked up the 69830 hedmans and they do not fit angled heads. Looks like I might just have to make these work

Last edited by Campbel45; 06-30-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
71Dragtruck

I'd try a shorty plug, the couple guys I know local that had SBC with angle plugs ran shorty plugs, taylor 90* boots and heat covers on the boots. Can't remember off hand if they had to dimple any tubes at all, but wouldn't hurt just to pick up one short plug and give it a try on that tube.
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #17
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Yeah your on top of a rock and in a hard place. Most headers specifically designed to fit with angle plug heads are a larger tube than you would want in a low RPM torque / 4x4 motor.

I will make a prediction that it's just a matter of 3 or 4 sets of burned wires and you are looking for another set of headers.

You might give Headman a call to verify, but I believe this is the correct header for angle plug heads in a 71 4x4 chassis . I do see the claim that it will fit manual trans,, but a call to Headman would be warranted IMO

http://proshop.summitracing.com/part...0/applications

Here's a link to their site and some options

http://www.hedman.com/site/?d=22&dt=...D=350&limit=20

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #18
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I know the listing says they do not work with angle plug heads, and I don't know why. If you read thru that thread I linked to, you will see where Craig Artzner, who works for Summit, physically fit a set of 69830's to a set of Trick Flow heads. Plus in looking at the pics, it appars to me there should not be any issues with 90* plug boots.

I believe the 69890's will hit the front shackles, as stated in the thread on CK5.

Here's the post where Craig Artzner talks about fitting them to the Trick Flow heads.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthr...213472&page=21

It sounds like he did use a shorty plug.

Quote:
I had no idea thorley had bad reviews. I tried researching the 372y and there's not much feedback with the 4x4s or guys running angled heads. Or maybe I just didn't look in the right place...

Also I looked up the 69830 hedmans and they do not fit angled heads. Looks like I might just have to make these work

Last edited by Captainfab; 06-30-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 06-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #19
Campbel45

Ah I was one page off from reading that. I started at page 7. It looks like I could go with either

69230 - painted

69830 - coated

I think I will order some shorty plugs and see how they look with the thorleys. If it looks like a no go I'll order the painted 69230s and report back how well the fitment is. Between 3 sets of headers I should be able to make a V24 sound pretty good let alone my sbc!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #20
cableguy0

If the boots will be even remotely close to the Taylor wires have excellent boots. Accel wires suck. There are also hard boots called vari angles that can be installed on any wire that will withstand the heat and they also can be adjusted to any angle. Im not sure if they are still available but they aren't soft rubber but a hard plastic material.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #21
Campbel45

Does anyone know the length of an accel 416 or 414 shorty plug? I have autolite AR3933's and I'm measuring 2 1/8" from the seat to the tip of the plug. From what I've been looking up the accel may be longer...
Old 07-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #22
POPO1984

I'm running angles plug heads and Hedman headers with no issue. But I'm 2wd. I can get a part number for you. I believe mine are the elite. I have posted pics of them before.
POPO1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:00 AM   #23
Burmanater

To keep the boot from melting use some header wrap. I do on my 2wd. 2000miles later no issues. Just put one good band around it and you should be fine. I even have just zip ties holding mine on. They stay that cool.
Burmanater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #24
blazintowers

resurrecting because I did not want to start a new thread and have the exact issue. Any resolution found yet? I have a 71 blazer 4x4 with angle plug heads. So it looks like the only option is the hedman 69890 but then I will hit the shackle? I think my old headers are the hedman 69830 which fit great for my old set up but now hit my angled spark plugs...decisions, decisions, still need to try shorty plugs but just looking at it, it doesn't look like it is goin g to help? what are you guys using with angle style plugs/heads?
blazintowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #25
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Planning out your build would of helped minimize issues when installing the headers.....using the angle plug heads would create usage of different headers based on spark plug angle or use straight plug heads as you knew the old ones fit OK... did you actually need angle plug heads. what advantage are you getting, are you getting to the next stop light a tenth quicker ?
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote