The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
AlienYouth

TH400 shift points

I'm running a TH400 in my truck and need to raise my 1-2 shift point, I was told that a TH400 shifts at 4800 RPM 1-2, so does that mean playing with weights in the governor cant raise my shift point, or is that just what it normally shifts at? I've never been too deep into my tranny, so i figured i would just ask before i start messing with stuff. Will I have to buy a manual valvebody, and are the "manual/Automatic" valve bodies on Summit really fully manual for the 1-2 shift, or do i just need to play with the governor..? I kinda like not havin to screw with my shifter when cruisin around in my street truck wit bench seats and the ladyfriend...

Thanks in advance
AlienYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
scatesracing
Machinist

Re: TH400 shift points

I have read that you can grind the weights down on the governor and get it to shift later under full throttle.. When I had my 400 i found "by accident" That if you put it in low and stand on it... It would shift in to second on its own at about 6500 rpm and then I would shift into second and the I would have to shift to third on my own... thats how i raced it .. Street racin in High school it was cool....
scatesracing is offline   Reply With Quote