The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2024, 09:35 AM   #1
MacataQ

more lighting issues

hello all
thanks to the fine people here, i am now pretty sure that i have a manual steering column modified to an automatic. this is evident by my lack of a NSS switch on the column and (so far) the lack of purple wires at/near the ignition switch area. now so far all of my lights work as intended, although almost all of them were blown when i first started digging into this. i have replaced and all is good. the only exception is my back up lights. is it possible that along with the fact that i can start in any gear that i also lost power to these? tested and 0V at socket. also in digging around i found what i believe is the connector for the backup lights tucked up under the dash, the dark green wire does read +12v volts with the ignition switched to ACC or IGN. the Light Green wire reads 0V in any position.
would appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone here might have!!!
thanks

Mac
Attached Images

MacataQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 09:50 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: more lighting issues

-
Put a jumper wire from the dark green wire to the light green wire in that connector and your back up lights should come on. You may have to have the ignition switch turned on. I can't remember on that off the top of my head. You may have to modify the purple wire from your ignition switch for the NSS function.

Here is a thread that may help you on the NSS.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=839374

Are you going to add an NSS switch to the column?

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 09-19-2024 at 10:17 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 10:28 AM   #3
Dashman

The Neutral Safety Start Switch is also the Reverse Light Switch, so there would be (2) pairs of wires going to it (for a factory automatic). One from the ignition switch, and the other pair from the reverse light circuit. There would be a cutout in the outer column and a tab on the inner part of the column that would engage the switch. It would make contact for the reverse light switch, and break contact for all ranges except park and neutral.

You could get creative, or fabricate the column to be like factory. If you go the "like factory" route, space the cutout and tab a little further away from the firewall. It's a PITA to get to the screws to adjust the switch, and use hex nut screws. Good Luck!
Dashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 10:31 AM   #4
MacataQ

thanks LockDoc
i have yet to locate the purple wires (im old & not terrifically flexible, LOL)
i plan to get the correct column at some point, not crazy about the "start in any gear" thing!
having trouble locating a good used column and REALLY not inclined to buying a Flaming River or Ididit one $$$$!!! i did try jumpering the light & dark green wires together, with no success., but i might not have made a good connection. i will be replacing all of the sockets as there is very bad rust and pitting in the existing OEM housings. grounding issues?
thanks for responding
Mac
Old 09-19-2024, 10:45 AM   #5
MacataQ

Thanks Dashman
there is no slot in the column or holes for holding the NSS to the column, thats what leads me to believe that this was a manual column originally. the 2 green wires in pic are the only ones i have found so far..no purples. just trying to get everything working correctly before i decide on getting the proper column in there..mighty hard to find up here!
Mac
Old 09-19-2024, 01:13 PM   #6
RustyPile

MacataQ,

I sent you a PM...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2024, 03:15 PM   #7
Rust_never_sleeps

I think you'd only have LG/DG if it was a manual,
purple looks to be the alternate wiring(dashed line) if it came with an auto box
(RPO M35,M38,M49)
Attached Images