The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
wahl4m

sand blast cabinets ???

im looking to buy a new sand blast cabinet for the shop ! looking at "skat blast# 979 or a "bad boyz" unit ! anybody have one ? is one any better than the other? thanks mike
wahl4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: sand blast cabinets ???

Can't say about the "bad boyz" unit but I have a Scat Blast 780TL (Top Load) that works very well for me. Have had it about 10 years now and VERY pleased with it still. I did add an additional in the cabinet light which helps when parts have a lot of nooks and crannies to blast. I put a moisture control unit on the cabinet frame and drain it every time just before use. Never have had an issue with moisture or clumping of the blast material.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:58 PM   #3
cdub2010

I had a scat blast 960 unit at my shop. I loved it, it was real clean with the vac unit and easy to use. I built an angle iron frame with casters to move it around. I sold it when I got out of the hobby for a while, big mistake im looking for another one. Problem is I had to trade in my Quincy air compressor as well. Oh one issue I had, is I suddenly got a lot of new friends showing up all the time with parts to blast.
cdub2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
aknovaman

I put casters on my harbor freight cabinet to roll it outside, connected up a yard sale used shop vac and my air compressor. Works like a champ for most all parts. Affordable too.
FMCDH GBU and GBA
http://www.youtube.com/user/aknovaman/videos
aknovaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
rtinniste

Check out dee blast also. I have their model 44 has twin dust collectors scored it at work for free. Just kinda big for my garage so I'm going to put it on casters beats dragging parts to work to blast. And make sure your compressor is big enough, my garage has snow balled get the blaster had to get a bigger compressor now i want to hardline the garage and side yard.
3 1/2 car garage and running out of room fast with my 51 project and my dads c10 and all the fab tools I've been acquiring still want to squeeze a Bridgeport and Harding's lathe in there
rtinniste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
wahl4m

i did go get the "skat blast "unit .very big & heavy,but has 2 side doors ! i think i will make an extension ,that will fit on to replace 1 door ?? will need to replace the door gaskets {just sticky one side foam},its mounted to a thick sheet of plywood w/probably 6-8 wheels underneath,will need to order some more "tungsten gun tips,and some vacuum "bags " -wish it had the newer canister filters ?? maybe i can rebuild it to the newer style ? anybody familiar wwith that style ?? anyway it was $1500-a new one was $4000.00 and this is the hd version that "skat blast builds " at the price of glass or "black beautty" media that i use in my outside pot -i will be saving money and have no mess in my drive way ??
Old 04-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #7
Advanced Design

Congrat's on the cabinet. Did you find it used?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #8
aknovaman

Yikes! Seriously?

I can get a bunch of stuff blasted for the $1500 price plus the cost of a compressor to run that thing.
FMCDH GBU and GBA
http://www.youtube.com/user/aknovaman/videos
aknovaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #9
wahl4m

hi doug !good to hear from you ! hope you and family & randy are doing fine ? i have so many projects going ,seems like i always need something blasted & got tired of using friends cabinet / plus theres are small units ,i have a small "tip" pot BUT the price of media has sky rocketed & using it outside ,makes it a 1 shot deal W/ lots of waste ! i was going to buy a small blaster cabinet -say 500 to 1200.00 but shipping to iowa was 200 plus the unit ! i found this on "craigs list just 2 hours south of me for 1500.00 /seemed like a lot BUT it was a $4000.00 unit , lot bigger than i was going to buy /plus it had the good "hepa" filter kit? i get a lot of parts "powder coated" and they always like the stuff blasted ! when they blasted it was more then the p coating . anyway im broke but happy -smile ! get back to you later ! TELL RANDY F. HI !!
Old 04-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #10
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahl4m View Post
hi doug !good to hear from you ! hope you and family & randy are doing fine ? i have so many projects going ,seems like i always need something blasted & got tired of using friends cabinet / plus theres are small units ,i have a small "tip" pot BUT the price of media has sky rocketed & using it outside ,makes it a 1 shot deal W/ lots of waste ! i was going to buy a small blaster cabinet -say 500 to 1200.00 but shipping to iowa was 200 plus the unit ! i found this on "craigs list just 2 hours south of me for 1500.00 /seemed like a lot BUT it was a $4000.00 unit , lot bigger than i was going to buy /plus it had the good "hepa" filter kit? i get a lot of parts "powder coated" and they always like the stuff blasted ! when they blasted it was more then the p coating . anyway im broke but happy -smile ! get back to you later ! TELL RANDY F. HI !!
I'm good Mike. Will tell Randy hi. You guys should come down to MM in October.
And I've been wanting a cabinet too, just haven't pulled the trigger. There are so many times I would use one and "get by" with a wire wheel.
Good score for you, they don't show up very often.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:40 AM   #11
Chevy_mud_truck

Man I missed out on one a guy had posted on one of the Facebook yard sale page said it was 48" wide with the vacuum dust system for $200 dollars and it was only like 12 to 15 min drive away it lasted 45 min before it was sold well just my luck
Chevy_mud_truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #12
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahl4m View Post
i did go get the "skat blast "unit .very big & heavy,but has 2 side doors ! i think i will make an extension ,that will fit on to replace 1 door ?? will need to replace the door gaskets {just sticky one side foam},its mounted to a thick sheet of plywood w/probably 6-8 wheels underneath,will need to order some more "tungsten gun tips,and some vacuum "bags " -wish it had the newer canister filters ?? maybe i can rebuild it to the newer style ? anybody familiar wwith that style ?? anyway it was $1500-a new one was $4000.00 and this is the hd version that "skat blast builds " at the price of glass or "black beautty" media that i use in my outside pot -i will be saving money and have no mess in my drive way ??
Hey Mike, glad you like the cabinet! It served me well for about 15 years but just way bigger than I needed. I'm still looking for a smaller quality made unit. I did score a parts tumbler off of Craigslist, pretty cool little
Machine and you just set the timer and it does the work for you. It was a pleasure meeting and talking trucks with ya. Rob

Last edited by BLAZERMAN; 04-15-2016 at 04:36 PM.
BLAZERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #13
wahl4m

you know i thought my new cabinet would work for anything i have ??? im putting a new dash in my 66 carryall /went to use my skat blast cabinet ,guess what it barely fit /could not get to each end !!! arh SO i thought hey i still got the outside only pot ,i will use some of the used sand in it,nice fine sand ,no worry of severe sand pitting on the dash,anyway it did a great job.just turned the pressure down a little ,guess there is a reason i didnt sell that" outside skat blast sand pot" ? just remember you can never have a too bigof a blast cabinet ?? them ones with the 4 arm holes just looked too big ???? maybe get a blast booth i can drive a car in ?? see ya guys !
Old 06-16-2016, 06:45 AM   #14
MP&C

I have the Skat Blast 1536, wouldn't want anything smaller. It's had fenders, doors, and even a hood inside. Well, an MG hood...

Old 06-28-2016, 01:36 AM   #15
wahl4m

hi robert ,your cabinet looks exactly like mine! ,i just put a air vibrator on it SURE MAKES A BIG DIFERANCE ! that sand/media trapped in the corners dont hang up anymore ,plus i put a differant brand of gun on it ,i think the nozzles last longer than "skat blast ones "??also pu ta regulator w/filter on it ,and adjusted the pressure down /should make the carbide tips last longer ??
Old 06-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #16
MP&C

My air compressor puts out just shy of 34cfm so I changed out the blast gun to a high flow that TP tools sells, with the carbide tip. My cabinet came with the vibrator, not sure if added by the original owner or part of the 1536 package.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:05 AM   #17
In The Ten Ring

[QUOTE=MP&C;7626595]I have the Skat Blast 1536, wouldn't want anything smaller. It's had fenders, doors, and even a hood inside. Well, an MG hood...

That thing is impressive! I can see why you like it so much (I went to their website). It would be a tight fit in my garage but I might could make it work. The price is way up there but quality costs.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:46 AM   #18
MP&C

Got it off ebay, was used about 6 months in a powder coat shop that was shutting down, saved a bunch over the sale price at the time. So don't forget to check CL (searchtempest) ebay or Auctionzip... never know what you find..
Old 07-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #19
NONHOG

I have TP tools smaller version. Its nice but anything wheel size can be a bit crowded and the media blasts back and takes out the window savers really fast. Wish I went bigger, aw well, another thing to mod.