The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
SHORTDOG99

Question Dropped axle question

I am getting ready to install a 4" dropped axle in my 59. My question is, if i want to get more than the 4" drop that the axle will give me...which is the best way to achieve this with keeping a nice ride? Is it best to de-arch the front springs? Take some leafs out of the front? run mono's? or ??

Keep in mind that i bought my axle from Sid's and i also bought the modified (extended) steering arm, pitman arm, tie rod...so everything will clear just right. I just want to hear from some of you guys that have been down this road and what see what advice you can give me or what to look out for.

Thanks in advance!
SHORTDOG
Attached Images

SHORTDOG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Dropped axle question

I haven't done it yet, but I plan to. But I HAVE been researching it and I've read you do NOT want to use a monoleaf under any circumstances because if it breaks at speed? You're toast. But even if it doesn't ever break, and there are a lot of opinions about it but my feeling is why even take the chance? They're not cheaper and besides it potentially gives you very little clearence from the frame and hence a potentially rough ride. I've heard of "rough ride" issues with removing leafs too as well as "it rides fine" opinions. I know several aftermarket places offer multipack lowering leaf springs, which is what I think I would do if the dropped axle didn't give me what I was looking for. But as far as I've read you will NOT accomplish a "slam" - if that's what you want - with a straight axle without it being a harsh ride or dangerous or both. YMMV.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
SHORTDOG99

I've heard the same thing as far as mono leafs. I was leaning towards keeping the whole pack of leafs in but having them de-arched....just don't know if i will have clearance issues or if it will bottom out up front.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
OrrieG

Do they offer dropped spindales for the beam axles? I would assume someone would for stock axles. I have heard the mono-leaf argument but keep in mind even in a multi-leaf set up only the upper leaf is attached to the supports. In either case if the main leaf breaks you have a problem. I would think most mono leaf problems come from over stressing the spring. Another option would be to relocate the spring supports but that will change the angle of the axle caster.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
SHORTDOG99

No they don't make dropped spindles for the straight axle....at least not yet. I was told that i can also get a lower stance by "flipping" just the main leaf as to reverse the berlin eye. Has anyone done this and if so, do you have any pics to post?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Can you get a lot lower (too low?) by flipping the axle to on top of the spring pack like the rears?

Would this again raise the issue of bumpsteer and scrub line issues?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
SHORTDOG99

I would think by doing that you would not only bottom out because there would be no clearance between the axle and frame but that you would also compromise safety because the leafs would be so close to the ground. This only if it is possible to do in the first place...I don't think it is.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
FFredo

I've looked under my truck to check on flipping the axle. Not much room there between the top of the spring pack and the frame.
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
SHORTDOG99

That's what i thought. Is running lowering blocks an option? or will that create the same dilemma?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
FFredo

Lowering blocks will only work if the axle is over the spring pack, so no help there.
I'm wondering how low you want to bring this thing. The 4 inch drop set up seems pretty good. I plan to go with the remove a spring or two until I get the stance I want.
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
SHORTDOG99

Well being that it is a Suburban i want to get a little lower than the 4"....like maybe 6 or 7" because i am going to "C" notch the rear and run helper bags so i can raise and lower depending on how many people i have riding in the back. I don't want to "Air out" the rear and still have the front pointing to the sky...if you know what i mean. I want it to be low all the way around.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
jocko

i think cpp and some others sell de-arched front and rear leaf springs - advertised as 3" drop - so I woudl think that the dropped axle plus de-arched leafs woudl give you around 5" give or take. I would think all the new hardware and links you bought for the dropped axle would still work, but that might be a stretch. Might be worth a call to cpp or someone that carries BOTH items to ask about the combo - then just buy the springs from them since you already have the axle.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:47 AM   #13
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTDOG99 View Post
Well being that it is a Suburban i want to get a little lower than the 4"....like maybe 6 or 7" because i am going to "C" notch the rear and run helper bags so i can raise and lower depending on how many people i have riding in the back. I don't want to "Air out" the rear and still have the front pointing to the sky...if you know what i mean. I want it to be low all the way around.
BURB? 59? well wheres the yhe pics? having owned a heap titled as a 59 burb i kinda have a thing for 'em. i do think youll be nose high with a flip in the rear. But a measuring tape should get you close. I think poises makes a two leaf set-up, but i could be confused.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
mr48chev

There should be a spring shop in your area that can rework the springs to get the drop you want and still have a decent ride. They could reverse the eyes on the main leaf and re-arch the springs with a flatter arch for the drop.

Removing leaves will drop it easy enough but that also kills the ride and from my experience doesn't help the handling.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
There should be a spring shop in your area that can rework the springs to get the drop you want and still have a decent ride. They could reverse the eyes on the main leaf and re-arch the springs with a flatter arch for the drop.

Removing leaves will drop it easy enough but that also kills the ride and from my experience doesn't help the handling.
I totally agree with all this except to wonder what the cost of having a local spring shop do the work versus buying already dropped leaf packs from one of the vendors like CPP, or in my case The Truck Shop?

I know The Truck Shop has them for $389 a set in drops of (I beleive) 1", 2" and 3". Dropped axles seem to be available through Sid's in 2", 3" and 4" and I think I even heard of 5" at one time.

I wonder if the optimum for compromise in lowering, steering, ride & handling is some combo of axle AND spring, or just dropping via one or the other?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
SHORTDOG99

Atlas spring in La Puente, Ca. quoted me $50 a pack to de-arch, strip, paint , and put in all new bushings and zirk fittings. That's $200 for all 4 packs (front & rear). This is probably the way i will go. Here is the link to Atlas if you guys want to check them out.

http://www.atlasleafspring.com/index.html

Hey Meter Swinger, There is a pic of my 59 in the 55-59 Suburban/Panel thread.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
2ndGenRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Do they offer dropped spindales for the beam axles? I would assume someone would for stock axles. I have heard the mono-leaf argument but keep in mind even in a multi-leaf set up only the upper leaf is attached to the supports. In either case if the main leaf breaks you have a problem. I would think most mono leaf problems come from over stressing the spring. Another option would be to relocate the spring supports but that will change the angle of the axle caster.
I have seen this for myself. My neighbors truck broke a leaf spring on the rear of his truck just in front of the bushing...whole pack is useless at that point. He drove it around that way without knowing for who knows how long. We put it on the lift to do brakes and noticed it...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that is the location where most breaks are going to occur and whether it's mutli or single leafs it's not going to make a difference. Not sure that this makes a difference in the route you are going to go...just information for everyone.
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton, 3-window...building to sell.
Daily Drivers: 1998 3/4 ton Burb with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel and 1994 1/2 ton Silverado.

I grew up in Flint, Michigan so I can't help but to bleed Chevy!
2ndGenRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #18
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORTDOG99 View Post
Atlas spring in La Puente, Ca. quoted me $50 a pack to de-arch, strip, paint , and put in all new bushings and zirk fittings. That's $200 for all 4 packs (front & rear). This is probably the way i will go. Here is the link to Atlas if you guys want to check them out.

http://www.atlasleafspring.com/index.html
Wow, EXCELLENT info, thanks shortdog!

Did they say how much it would lower the truck?

I'm wondering if they do the Teflon-between-the-leafs thing? I hear it makes quite a difference on the old leaf spring suspensions; any opinions on that aspect?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #19
SHORTDOG99

Never thought to ask them about that. Give them a call and let us know what they say. I have had friends get their leafs done by them with excellent results.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #20
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks, I will.

Did they say if you'll get the 4" of drop (I assume) you're looking for to match the front?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
SHORTDOG99

I forget exactly how much but it was pretty close.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #22
bar1

I have put a 4 inch drop axle and mono leafs in my 59 apache fleetside.It is very low.Just like i wanted it. But it is very BOUNCY!!
bar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #23
meter swinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar1 View Post
I have put a 4 inch drop axle and mono leafs in my 59 apache fleetside.It is very low.Just like i wanted it. But it is very BOUNCY!!
Pics?
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #24
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar1 View Post
You forgot to reinstall the shock absorbers!

Seriously, I would think that with a mono a stronger than stock shock would be called for. A gas shock. Who did you buy the dropped axle from? Didn't they recommend any other suspension changes to go along with it?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #25
bar1

It has brandnew shocks on it
bar1 is offline   Reply With Quote