The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2005, 01:14 AM   #1
andrew king

Propane System?? Anyone Have One??

With fuel prices in So cal reaching $2.45 and going toward $3.00 a gallon Im looking ionto runnnig my new Big Block on propane. Anyone have expirience with this or have a setup that I can buy?????
andrew king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:33 AM   #2
1974gmc
In Progress

never run propane on a new motor, you will fry it good.
1974gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:05 AM   #3
badone07
Project 2 Resume

Sorry, have to disagree 1974gmc. I was a mechanic at a forklift dealership for 5 years. Clark, Daewoo, Nissan & Toyota primarily (owner bought up the competition), with some of Hysters and other brands thrown in. Even Bobcats. Machines constantly came in brand new, still in cosmoline and I also rebuilt many motors there, for customers or trade ins. Had to convert some as well. Gas, diesel, propane, natural gas, dual setups, it didn't matter they were fine. Actually never heard such a thing. For propane it was mostly IMPCO systems. Before I left, a lot of Clarks were coming with Chevy 4.3's, not that it really matters.

You'll need a vaporizer, regulator and carb. Plus the obvious propane hoses, a filter and a tank. Probably a different air cleaner. A vacuum source and a tap into the coolant system. You could also make it dual fuel and keep it gasoline, with a flip of the switch as well, after running out what's in the carb. A complete kit would be the way to go. They are a breeze to work on. Not much to them. You could probably even talk with a local forklift company. They are a great source for braided lines, fittings and electrical. Might want to look into your emmissions laws. I've been away from it for a couple of years, but who knows, I always get offered my job back there. If you want, I can PM you a couple of links where some are using propane on other manufacturer's big blocks. I'm sure there are other sources out there as well.

1984 C30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
2004 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 (wife's)
1970 Mustang FB fully tubed (getting 521 BBF & powerglide)
1978 Nova 2dr (going BBCaddy & S.P. th400)
1984 Monte SS (circle track car)

Last edited by badone07; 03-11-2005 at 07:57 AM.
badone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
Mike76251

I only have one propane engine so will tell you one thing.......I don't crank that engine but every year or so ('cause it is in a generator) and I recently pulled the carb off to look inside.......that carb looked brand new.
This generator is a 1972 model to boot!
You don't get gelled-gas junk'in up metering passages and washing down your oil on the cylinder walls with propane.
The only down side to propane is it's price keeps going up too.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:11 PM   #5
76CustomDeluxe

My grandfather and father have both ran several pickups on propane and have had little difficulties. I might have a system I could sell you, it would probably include about everything you need except the tank. Would have to talk to my Dad if he would let it go or not, he still has a 1969 International pickup that is on propane and he might want it for a spare system. If you are interested let me know and I can ask him.
76CustomDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76251
The only down side to propane is it's price keeps going up too.
that's because it is a byproduct of refining crude oil.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I had a friend run his pickup on propane (a Ford---Imagine that ---I can type the word and my fingers didn't fall off). He was running a 390 and was getting some great performance with it. Where we live the winter temps would give some starting problems, but that was all he experienced, the motor ran strong and sounded great.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:15 PM   #8
chevyfan420

I had propane on my 79 Chev 350 and it was a ***** in the cold weather. I found it very hard to get along with! I got rid of it and went back to gas. But that is just my experience, and everyone else seems to say its great. One good thing about it was how clean the motor was and still is.

86 Chevy 1/2 ton shorty project truck

79 Chevy 1/2ton 350/350turbo
not much to look at... ***Retired***

97 Chevy C1500 4.3/5 speed.....daily driver
chevyfan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:34 AM   #9
Bowed

How about an engine with computer controled throttle body , are they hard to convert to dual fuel ? Here in Phoenix we ran short of gas not to long ago with long lines at the pumps and some stations sold out and closed . This happened when a pipe line broke that feeds Arizona . With the way it is today I think gas problems can happen almost any time , any place and dual fuel is not a bad idea .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #10
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

with the expense of a new system and the difficulty of finding fuel, its almost not worth it to swap.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:06 PM   #11
Mike76251

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FaastC10
with the expense of a new system and the difficulty of finding fuel, its almost not worth it to swap.
True.............not really worth it.
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:34 PM   #12
MidnightBlues

Overhere in Europe were the gas prices are sky high,almost everybody with a usa car is running on propane.IMPCO is one of the best systems for usa cars.I've been driving on propane for more than 10 years now,and the only disadvantage is the car will use a little bit more fuel and you lose a little bit of power,BUT (!!!!) the engine will last much much longer (300000 km is no exception),the engine will not be fouled inside as much as with gas (higher burning temp),there's no such thing as pinging, and it's very environmental friendly,the cleanest fuel so far (think of our children).
Don't forget to upgrade the heads to propane, otherwise you will indeed burn them.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:23 AM   #13
the baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlues
Overhere in Europe were the gas prices are sky high,almost everybody with a usa car is running on propane.IMPCO is one of the best systems for usa cars.I've been driving on propane for more than 10 years now,and the only disadvantage is the car will use a little bit more fuel and you lose a little bit of power,BUT (!!!!) the engine will last much much longer (300000 km is no exception),the engine will not be fouled inside as much as with gas (higher burning temp),there's no such thing as pinging, and it's very environmental friendly,the cleanest fuel so far (think of our children).
Don't forget to upgrade the heads to propane, otherwise you will indeed burn them.
Hi all ,

MidnightBlues is right , I also drive my american cars since 1998 on LPG ( liquified Petroleum gas ) , which is a blend of Propane & Butane...

a lot cheaper than gasoline here in Europe ( about 1 third , I pay now 0.35 € a liter while 95 RON gas is almost 1.20 €)

In Belgium where I live , we have to have the dual installation ( LPG & gas )

IMPCO is the way to go in the States , it still is more expensive than the italian installations here in Europe , but it is the best you can buy.

About consumption : about 20% more than gasoline
About loss of power : it depends on the installation you've put , on my italian garbage , I have a loss of 15 a 20 % of power , but I don't care , my cars still go at 75 MPH on the highway

Cost of the installation I let install , last year in august , in my 1977 Impala : 1350 € ( 1600 US$ ) , but it is a basic one ( carb + evaporator ).

With a more modern system ( multipoint computered injection ) , it cost twice that amount

and the latest kind of installation ( LPI = liquid injection ) costs between 2000 & 2500 €

And anyway , as MidnightBlues pointed out , think of the future of our childrens , LPG is a lot cleaner than gas

by the way : I never start my cars on gas , always on LPG without any problem , just take care that your coolant level is always at the maximum , as the evaporator is warmed up with cooling water ( no coolant = evaporator becomes a block of ice = you're busted... )

last point : Diesel is no more the way to go here in Europe , Diesel oil costs as much as gas

have fun guys !

the Baron
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:55 PM   #14
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by the baron
And anyway , as MidnightBlues pointed out , think of the future of our childrens , LPG is a lot cleaner than gas.
keep thinking of our children... you have to refine crude oil to make propane, so you're going to have to make gas and diesel anyways. keep thinking of your children, and encouraging everyone else to convert to propane, and your fuel prices will be the same as gasoline or diesel. the main problem with pollution in this world has absolutely nothing to with automobiles, its industry. vehicles are regulated on emissions from the factory. when was the last time you saw someone on top of an industrial smokestack with an emissions tester while it is billowing massive clouds of smoke? NEVER. the biggest polluters sponsor "clunker laws" which crush any car older than XX years, in return for emissions points which allow them to continue thier pollution consequence free. they even crush the ones we all love, regardless of their actual mechanical condition. so while propane is all well and good for the environment, converting everyone to run propane is like putting a bandaid on a severed limb.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:33 PM   #15
MidnightBlues

Yes , I have to agree on this, but if I have the choice between very bad and a little less bad, I choose the latter. But I have to be honest with you all, this also depends on how much money I can spend
Old 03-14-2005, 10:56 PM   #16
andrew king

well i was looking at it froam dual fuel standpoint I plan to drive this truck to some very remote places and wanted to have both fuels I already have a spare tank in the bed thats 50 gallons plus my saddle tanks and figured if I can find a propane or LNG system cheap enough I could ditch one of the saddle tanks. ANYONE HAVE ONE???
andrew king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:17 AM   #17
Dooley

There is a 71/72 C-10 near me that has the original propane conversion on the 402BB. The fellow bought it from a mining company. The "Boss" used to drive this into the mines and gas/diesel fumes would have been a problem. He hopes to restore the truck someday. He also has a 68 C-10 with a 396/4 speed and factory buckets!
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:41 AM   #18
axespino

I have a cousin in Mexico and alot of the trucks run on propane and on gas with no problems. I think the system with install is about $500.00. I could not see a difference on performance with the propane.
axespino is offline   Reply With Quote